Ford 289 Boss copy build questions for the Ford nuts...

OldNathan

Hi guys,

So as some will know my latest Mark 11 coupe edition has a 289 Ford under the bonnet. I have no idea about these things but from what I have found out its a Boss copy. She has a Windsor block and Cleveland heads. A demon carb etc.

My question right now is Im trying to find out what the heads are. Ive been told there will be a 4 cast on the head if it is 4V and nothing if it is a 2V. But this has a 3 stamped there. Does anyone know what this might mean?

Also what would something like this be worth with a W50 behind it with bellhousing and clutch etc?

Runs mint and is a very responsive engine.

Cheers

Open chamber 2V heads if I remember right.

Not the realy good ones but on a 289 should work very well.

If someone has gone to the trouble of using Cleavland heads on a Windsor block, knowen as the "Boss" then you can bet the chambers and ports have been cc'd and match ported.

What it's worth will depend on how well it's been put together and what internals the engine has in it.

W50 $300 if it is a W50, they are cast iron. If it's an alloy gearbox is a W55, 56 or 57. $500.

Bell, flywheel, clutch, release bearing, fork. $500ish.

Engine could run from parts value of what you can see from the outside, some where arround $1K. The Boss inlet is very expensive to replace.

If you are willing to take a head of and the sump so you can inspect the goodies inside anything up to $5K for one with Forged Pistons, Billet Crank, Solid Cam spec Cam Shaft, Gear driven Cam, Roller rockers, H Beam Rods.

If it's in a Mk II Corona and certed I would be in heaven. 12sec quater mile runs and epic burnouts are just around the corner.

Not sure what the 26J2 means - I would imagine its a day/month manufacture code, but found this on the net which may explain why you cant find any numbers on the valve spring side of the head:

"4V heads may be identified by the casting mark at the upper corners of the valve cover mating surface. Australian heads and Boss 302 heads do not have these marks. A casting number identifying the head is found on the deck side.

The numbers are as follows:

1970 4V (closed chamber) DOAE-G, -H, -M, -N, -R
1971 4V (closed chamber) D1AE-GA
1971 Boss D1ZE-B
1971 CJ (open chamber) D1ZE-DA
1972-74 4V (open chamber) D1ZE-GA
1972 HO (open chamber) D2ZE-A

US 2V clevos will have the following numbers
DOAE-E,J DOAZ-A,B,D D1ZE-CB D5AE-AA D5AZ D1AE-A D3AE-G2B."

I dunno "boss copy" could mean all sorts of things old barrys who do silly things like that. how certain are you that they are actually Cleveland heads even? some guy might have put a fancy carb and aircleaner and painted the motor blue and thats it. and +1 to the likelyhood of wonky aussie casting numbers on such motors in this country.

Id say anywhere from $1500 to $3000 for the motor and and box together would be a reasonable price range just depends how long you mind waiting for it to move if you are going to sell it.

without having certain info on the cam, pistons heads etc. its going to be hard to ask more than $3k in my mind.

I let my unknown "289" (might have even been a poos 255/worst v8 ford ever made we really could not tell from the casting numbers) and c4 go for $750 but that was to a good friend so he did get a deal

• Like 1

If youre looking at selling the whole deal, surely the carb and inlet manifold has to be worth resonable coin? Box - I dont know about the value of Jap stuff... Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, -  it all adds up.

Its got to be worth a couple of grand cash even splitting it up?

That thing is way cool. If I had any money I'd be keen to buy the whole car off you myself. Always loved that shape Cressida although as they came with the 18R they were horrendously underpowered and hogged the gas badly. What does that one do to the gallon? I got 18-20 mpg round town from an all original '79 RX30 manual sedan.