Diesel Mechanic Help please.

KKtrips

Can you get at the injector pipes easily? When you have time crack those and bleed it before a cold start, easy way to rule out air leaks if it then starts and runs easily. Not that familiar with the French diesels as mentioned they are normally solid but some of the Jap stuff get air in through a front seal on the pump and show similar symptoms until they won't start at all without a bleed.

Cheers man, I will try that - will have to be a weekend thing rather than before work though because I don't want to smell like a tractor all day at work. LOL

Check banjo bolts and fittings at the in pipe to the filter and at the pump. We get a lot of trucks that clog up with crap there from the bottom of the tank. Bug is caused by water in the fuel tank. Condensation in the fuel tank is one culprit. Near empty tanks overnight in the cold get condensation

• Like 1

Mof is on to it. Check the lines into the pump a lot of those banjos have little gauze filters in them that love picking shit up . they are usually removed because they cause more issues then they fix.

Surging under load or high revs is usually something sucking and blocking fuel flow.

Hard starting is prob those how plugs. Easy to check just put them across battery terminals. They glow or they don't.

I haven't read much else but yeah.

sorry didnt read whole thread, about diesels couldnt be bothered lol

so dont know if this has been said/done,

if it has the injector bleed offs, ie little hoses with T connectors, check them

i had a diesel once, hard to start in mornings, got harder, found the T pipes broken and hoses perished, letting the fuel drain back to tank

so had to use ether to get going, replaced T pieces and hoses, bamm, started no bother from then on

also another common fault injector seals :(

Finally had a chance to look at this yesterday.

Had a bit of a play with a test light and the glow plug timer was working as it should.

Ran a spanner over all the fittings and they were all good and tight.

Tried to start - it was being a dick so gave the primer bulb a dozen squeezes and all of a sudden I saw a drip of diesel coming out of the filter housing.

Took a closer look and a tiny little plastic plug in the bottom of the filter housing was letting fuel drip out. Which was obviously letting air in overnight.

Was easy to bypass the filter with the factory hoses and fittings. Primed her up and it took 2 squeezes of the bulb and the bulb went very firm - which is good I guess. She fired straight up after a quick glow. Ran great and even felt more powerful than before.

Left it to sit overnight again and jumped in before and one glow and crank, she fired on the second revolution. PERFECT.

Ran like a dream and it actually feels much more powerful than before. I assume that is either because it had been gradually losing power the last couple of months with the stupid fuel leak and fixing it has bought it back up or the filter housing was a restriction and not letting all the fuels in.

No matter - it's running like a champ and I'm stoked. Just need to add in a filter. Isn't a huge amount of room to fit the big Hilux spec one without some decent fabrication so may run a inline petrol filter and change it regularly until I can spend some time mounting the big one.

• Like 1

awesome! sorted! 

seems the bulb thing is in good nick so you could use that, and an old lucas CAV style filter/water trap (not sure if you know them -pretty much anything diesel from britain had them up 'til the 80s.  trump 2500PIs used them for petrol even.) they're a lot smaller than a lux one and still run as a water trap (which is the biggest need for your application I would think)