The "Deuce Coupe" by Gaz

sr1600

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys.

Engine sat in bay before and looked fine to me.. cant find pics tho! The sump and pickup has been moded on the engine tht was in there and I have kept them so might as well try with it first.

Gbox was bolted up to factory mounts but today when I removed the gbox I realised it had a diff shifter position to the one I intended to run.

2j4vprp.jpg

Gaz

Gearbox wise top one will be a rx7 however I dont reconise the bellhousing without the ribs, the basic mod to the shifter to make them fit is to remove the "remote shifter" piece cut the first set of mounting holes off so that the rear mounting holes of the shifter can be bolted to the front bolt holes on the box. Then shorten and redrill the shaft to suit this, some weld the tabs back on so you have 4 mounts again but the two ive done have been fine without them.

Since you have a rear housing it maybe easier to swap them over dont know what else is different , putting a s4/5 13bt rear housing on a s6 gearbox is possible but there a few modds to make it work correctly.

Shorter one, bottom gearbox in photo is from a series 1 rx7. Supposedly not as strong as series 2 and 3 boxes. I took a few photos and wrote a bit in my chevette rx3, viva threads. Done a couple of others too. As sr1600 said- you dont need 4 bolts holding it on. 2 are fine.

Really glad to see a thread on this..long time waiting. Lush shape the rx2 coupe..less dumpy and nicer than a 3 coupe imo

Yep as above^ bottom one s1 rx7 and the top one s3 rx7 turbo.. they have different size clutches from factory; 8.5" and 9" respectively.

Also Gaz twin dissy is side mounted off front plate with engine mounts while single dissy is mounted off the front cover with engine bracket and mounts.

I thought from the below that the lower box was a S2,3,4 seven box... 

"The S1 RX-7 gearbox is a direct swap for the earlier RX-4 / RX-5 gearbox, and all mounting points, shifter position etc are the same. The rotary gearboxes can be identified by having a hole for the starter motor to be fitted to (piston motors have the starter motor fitted to the engine). All smooth case rotary gearboxes are 5-speed. 

*S2, S3, S4 RX-7s have a remote shifter that places the shift lever 100mm further back compared to the S1 RX-7 gearbox. These are a substantial update over the S1 boxes and are much stronger, although not indestructible. "

Yeah mate it's a s1 box.. it says above s2,3,4 boxes have the remote shifter like your s3 box.

Clutch size is dependent on flywheel size. Check and see if the input shaft splines are the same on your boxes.. if they are and you have an 8.5" flywheel then you can use your new clutch with either box.

Didnt know that either I must of got lucky, swapped my what i thought was an Rx2 4 speed out for a s3 turbo box.

The ring gear must be in the same location as used the starter that was in there, juSt the clutch disc face must be bigger.

Ah sorry I read your first post wrong Mork, I was mixing the two boxes up. The top clean one is the one that's been rebuilt and the one was wanting to use so thats good. I guess Ill do the stick mod.

Both have same spline count so good to go with my 8.5" setup.

I just popped the balljoints out of the lower controll arm!!! What a mission that is without a press!

Gaz

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Keen as to see the length specs of your hilux diff as I too want to squeeze as wise rims as I can on my 618 coupe. Also keen to hear prices for pine engineering to split and lip your starsharks as I want to do the same for my ssr mk3 14x6. Pics in my thread.

Love rx2 coupe shape. So so so so hot

I have taken measurements somewhere and can probably start dummying up now I have the axles back. Should prob do so before I send car off to blasters.. will have a look this weekend. Was kinda waiting for rims to arrive from Japland.

On the odd chance does anyone have the diff mounting patterns for brackets to weld onto Hilux diff for rx2?

Gaz

Ain't much room between there and the mounting points, however there is probably enough for some dish. There isn't enough for extreme dish

1900001_821102077906347_1742366897_n.jpg

However if I wasn't concerned about ratio's etc id probably go with a B1600 Diff for starters, Aint the LSD head design alot better?

Edit: If anyone wants those adjustable arms and Bushes im gonna remake mine slighty different......offers

• Like 2