Link LEMG1 V3 - 20v 4age ignition timing

thegreatestben

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol turn ign on then use a screw driver to short main cable on starter to the exciter to get it cranking or wire a switch to some aligator clips to make easier just unplug injectors tho this is how i do it when setting timing for the first time

Simon from link:

On that ECU there is no offset adjustment.

It is geared to work off a 4 tooth trigger only. I suspect that the pickup in the distributor might be a 24 tooth wheel?

Hmmmmm maybe they modified the dizzy on the old engine? Grind off some teeth?

can ya grab the old dizzy of the dude? so what are they using to sync the rpm input? a 4-1 tooth config or the 2nd trigger input as a reset on a separate wheel with a single tooth? to be honest ive never looked at a 4age dizzy before but i suspect it'll be something like that,

Does it go pop at all with some ether?

Are the injectors even firing?

Had this problem recently with a link.

See if it makes a bang with some ether.

If it does, then its fuel.

If it doesnt. Then it will be ignition and still could be fuel.

Try that?

Definitely got fuel, I can hear the pump running for 2 secs on ignition, it runs when testing with the hand control. You can smell it when cranking and the plugs are wet when I pull them out.

I contacted the previous owner, he's got the old engine :) :)

Gonna go have a squiz at the dizzy. If I get the base timing right and it still won't start I'll try ether. Then I'll probably get Geoffs link or got back to stock.

sounds like its setup for a bigport 16v dizzy.  using only the 4 tooth wheel.   (they have a 4 tooth wheel. plus the 24 tooth.)   will just fire the coil on each pulse.    grinding the teeth may work.  if the 4 teeth left are in the correct location.      may still end up end up 10 degrees retarded though, if its reading the 24 tooth wheel. as will be trying to fire on each tooth already.

slotting /modifying the dizzy for more mechanical  adjustment maybe the only way to make it work, once you have ground the teeth

Hmm so marked my dizzy teeth up, removed unneeded teeth. Throw back together, no spark? Igniter hot, coil warm. Spin dizzy by hand fuel pump starts and injectors fire but no spark. Igniter only had one screw holding it on and wasn't exactly tight. Might have cooked it.

No spark directly from coil? Or no spark after cap?

would have only cooked 1 channel of the ignitor if it is has.  try swap the wires to the other channel,   if they are on oc1 & ib1,  swap them to oc2 and ib2.  

oc is to coil

ib to ecu

No spark from coil. Signal from dizzy is getting to ecu as injectors are firing and the fuel pump is being switched on. Can't see how removing teeth on the dizzy has caused this. Was careful to blow out all the filings with air gun after grinding down teeth with die grinder. Igniter was really hot coil just warm. Mitsubishi parts...