Link LEMG1 V3 - 20v 4age ignition timing

thegreatestben

Hi so I have an ae101 with a silver top wired up with a link as detailed above. Was running but previous owner ran engine dry. Swapped to this motor and it won't start. I have fuel and spark an there's data on the ecu but when checking timing when starting the timing light tells me that it's WAY out. All timing marks line up, check all the basics but can't get it better than like 10deg after tdc.

Is there a setting I can alter to right this like I could with my g3?

Any ideas? I suspect this is all that's stopping it from firing up.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I noticed that it's running a mitsi igniter but the stock ignition coil.

It's running MAP instead of the AFM.

Somethings up with the trigger, there's no way to get the dizzy position wrong on 20v's.

Also the car is Facelift but engine is probably not. Is the loom different between pre and post facelift?

I know the ECU is interchangeable but a different part number (better tune on facelift)

Are you running wasted spark with coil packs? Could just be that ign channel 1 and 2 are backwards.ie cly 1 and 2 swapped with 3 and 4? Or do they run a dizzy? Could be firing order wrong or they all could need to be rotated around a position on the cap effectivly moving the spark timimg 45 degrees go 2 posoitions for 90deg etc clockwise or counter clockwise for Adv / retard failing that there should be a setting for setting the static timing or reset offset havent played with a g1 for ages tho!

hmm no dip switches!  looks like an old daughter board.   maybe those jumper pins on the daughter board are what you need to use.  maybe best to ask link  what the deal is before you try though!

Hmm, the guy I bought the car off said it was running the link prior to engine going pop and the wiring looks pretty well done at both ends.

The guy was pretty honest about what he did and didn't know, pretty trust worthy as he let me take the car home on his wheels then take them back.

Can't move dizzy a tooth. Retard proof unlike 16v

Yeah I'm gonna check that too. Mrs apprehended the laptop when I got home so doing my head scratching now.

Think I'll whip the plugs out, pop a long screw driver down the plug holes, and observe the spark vs. crank position.

Somethings not quite right.

The other option is to change back to stock ECU, loom and AFM. Have found PFL stuff for $225 on trademe. I'd cry if it still didn't start though.

Tried that real quick, swapped 1&4 2&3

Came up better like that but that seems weird to me, still wouldn't start.

Asked a question on link forums. Cap and Rotor are pretty stuffed, might invest in new ones of those tomorrow.

Try moving them around the posts circuler just make sure they are in the right firing order in a clockwise circle. Try each position untill you start seeing timing marks on no 1 showing while cranking