Speeno's Fifty Chebby.

kyteler

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 x 25kg bags in 1000L. 

Thing to be wary of are multi layered panels, need to do some testing but I imagine its like the phosphoric acid we use for rust conversion in that it stays active in the seams, the seams would all instantly be flash rusting after also.

Shop around to get the stuff too, I got it from a farm produce place and it was 1/4 the cost of anywhere else. Pay to try anyone with hookups at RD1 etc (its used in cleaning wine making vats)

Make sure you get the anhydrous version not the mono-hydrate as it wont dissolve properly

• Like 1

That is pretty choice.

How do you neutralize it once you pull it out? Hose it off with water?

And yea, what would you do for multi seamed things. Like stripping a whole door? How would you stop it eating sheat.

Looks super successful though. Well done!

Edit: Beaten by VG

Citric acid is weak as shit normal PVC type plastics will hold it no worries. 

Na not molasses, citric acid, its the same reaction but 10 million times easier and cleaner.

You just wash the part to neutralise, its the weakest acid out its in foods/drinks. You could use baking soda but no need, wash the fuck out of it with water and scrub with scotch brite, dry with the heat gun and paint. I'll probably chuck phosphoric acid stuff (like metal ready etc) on mine so I can store them and paint all at once later on.

Have been paint stripping bits to chuck in the tank, bloody old enamel is a prick, just turns to mush! anyway after all the grinding and blasting I did on the Buick this is the nice quiet way to do things.

Would be nice but yea it will slowly lose PH as reactions occur. From what Im told you will notice it slow down as you do more parts and there are less ions to react with the rust. I'll probably just top it up

Part of the beauty is that you can kill the mix pretty easy with a handfull lime or something, then dump it on the lawn haha. Its essentially as acidic as your household vinager, harmless! 

• Like 1

My workmates old man has made a bath and uses Baking Soda and a battery charger (or something similar - can't remember) and uses that to clean up rust, apparently that works well.

He's a mad Stationary engine hoarder and uses it to clean up engines he pulls out of rivers and the likes. He's restored a few engines now using this method. 

I watched a couple of youtube vids on this process a couple weeks back when you said you were going to do this. They all (well most of them) said to dry the part with a heatgun/blowtorch/something hot rather than let it dry on its own, hitting it with a gun apparently stops it from starting to rust straight away, I guess it burns off any residue or something? Maybe try doing that and see what happens? 

looks like a rad way of doing this regardless.

Yea heard that one too, and will do the job! the phosphoric acid is lush because you can store the parts for ages. Im going to try some cast soon, see how my smog manifold comes out.

Also need some OS input 

Do I roll vent windows in the front doors or not?? as a functional thing I love vent windows, but chops flow better without them maybe? not the best examples but vents:

poncho49.jpg

No vents

530174_4473814165734_274162518_n.jpg

And KK do I paint my engine cheby orange or a sweet black.