4AGE 16V ECU performance chip?

feavermj

Was just wondering if anybody was onto any decent performance chips for 16V 4AGE....

Wanting some extra gains for my redtop without forking out for a complete ECU?

Its fairly standard, apparently had the cams ground but unsure. Runs a MAP sensor, that's about it1403704_10202365275676928_1256944431_o.j

Thoughts and Information would be appreciated.

Heres a pic of the engine bay

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a few options,

1) Aftermarket

2) Honda ECU

You cant chip the Toyota ECU's.

ITB, use Honda OBD-1 ECU, I am building a harness over the next few weeks for a 4age 16v in an ae92. As the Honda ECU is tunable its a cheap mans aftermarket ecu. Plus its not that hard to do.

Plenty of room for ITB's.

Why not just swap in a 20v? All that high RPM goodness. May i ask what car cause the engine bay doesnt look like an 86?

get the afr checked. if its good, you wont gain much/anything  from aftermarket ecu.    you can tweak the base timing a bit on stock ecu, but again not much/anything to be gained if its set right to start with.

if you changed to itb's, or any cams that are worth upgrading to. then you will have to run aftermarket ecu of some sort

Basic rule of thumb with the 4age is any major mod that doesn't require a new ecu won't make much power.

Depends on your budget but a Honda ecu would make a cheap upgrade which you can change depending on what you want to do. I had a 4agte with a Honda ecu. Cost about 1/2 what an aftermarket one would do.

But how often do you hunt hondahs??

Basic rule of thumb with the 4age is any major mod that doesn't require a new ecu won't make much power.

Also this ^^ Costs $$$ to get any decent gains. Unless you want to invest some decent coin. I'd look at improving other areas of the car. Handling and brakes.

Any obd1 ecu such as a p72 will work. Vtec once for 20v non Vtec for 16 and gze. Its really not that hard at all.

Its not hard, need to make an adaptor for the loom, run the Honda distributor (bonus upgrade).

Use crome or hondata to tune it and its a poor mans motec.