4AGE 16V ECU performance chip?

feavermj

Why would you remove VVT? I guess in a race situation you're always running in the top RPM range which makes it somewhat unnecessary, but is there any advantage in removing it as opposed to utilizing it?

Talking full on race spec situ here (unless rules state no VVT)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fake edit: beaten but anyway;

only time you would want to remove it, is if the cams are too big for it to work.   valves eat pistons etc.  eg, the vvt pulley has somthing like 30degrees travel.  dial in your correct retard on the inlet cam. (resting position)  then hit the vvt, it advances 30degrees and bends some valves.

also its a pretty basic on off system,  if you look at it one way.  i cant remember the numbers, but it turns on at say 2000rpm. and switches back off at  7000 rpm.    so if you advanced the cam to the vvt "on" setting, fixed it at that.  the only place you would lose power is over 7000rpm.   and it would idle like junk.

• Like 1

^^There's a lot of benefit to advancing the cam (or not) based on load as well though, so you pretty much get a more miserable fuel bill disabling it too. (Assuming your ECU has a load vs rpm table for it I guess)

there was a guy who built a turbo Altezza motor with Supra pistons - which have different shaped valve reliefs.

Checked all of the clearances when buildint the motor and it was fine, but then started tuning and advanced the cams - crunch! woops :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys, feel like a muppet now. Roman cheers for the flow chart. seen the error in my ways.

Only reason i was going to disable is the set of cams i have my eye on say they can't be used with vvt. Going to have to rethink the usage of them. Maybe stick with kelford 193b or similar.

^^There's a lot of benefit to advancing the cam (or not) based on load as well though, so you pretty much get a more miserable fuel bill disabling it too. (Assuming your ECU has a load vs rpm table for it I guess)

yeh at cruise would be benifits fuel economy wise, with levaing the vvt off. (in retarded position - less overlap.)    my reply was more just aimed at full throttle/ yowzer's full race spec question

Pretty important question I think. What does the Honda route cost?

If he does the wiring maybe $180 for the loom and Honda parts (trademe and pick a part) and $200-300est for tuning. For the 92 is was just under 500 all up and running.

Maybe he should join a Toyota forum. There is one big one in Australia but not sure about nz.

not a massive budget was kind of wanting something I didn't have to pay someone a lot to tune. But scince that kind of thing is not available I would be keen to pump maybe $1k into something that would be able to handle a mildly worked 4age. only thinking of doing proper cams and ITBs, so would it be better for me just to go for a standard black top ECU and ITBS, or ITBS and Megasquirt?

will this honda ecu operate in alpha n (tps vs rpm) mode?

Yes. Either the old map vs rpm or alpha-n tps vs rpm. It's just an obd1 ecu with a rtp chip.

Alpha-n is just rpm/temp and tps if i remember correctly. Plus the bonus is its rtp over write and play.

Crome has an itb tool which converts to alpha-n. And its pretty easy to use.