SRS Warning light

yetchh

Ok to all auto sparkies and budding etc, this isn't oldschool related but,

I have a piece of shit '92 honda domani (awesome car) that just failed a wof on srs light not coming on. All I can find on the net is about them staying on. The other strange thing that I think is related is the horn works intermittently, since they're both on the steering wheel could it be some sort of connection there.. what sort of connection do they use for newer school horns etc? can't be the same sprung pin and ring style from the 70's..

Thanks for any help, It needs a wof so I can sell it :(

Have you ever seen the srs light work. When you first purchased the car did it work ? If not the last owner may have removed the bulb or covered the bulb up behind the instrument cluster. They would of done this because there was a fault with the srs.

Could be a faulty clock spring. This is the unit behind the steering wheel. Or could be a faulty seat belt, either buckle or pre tensioner.

You will have to take the car to an auto sparky to get it scanned. $40 to $80 depending on where you go.

Had the same problem with a golf i used to own, previous owner had removed the light altogether and put in a blank panel from a non airbag model. Once I fixed that, found that the light was on all the time cos the clock spring was broken (and the ABS light was on cos some munter had cut the rear wheel speed sensor loom when removing the cd stacker)

also if the bulb has been removed because the light stays on the usual fault with hondas is one of 3 things the seat belt catch.(most common) the resistor in the passengers side if no passenger airbag is fitted or the clockspring on the drivers side. In hondas and most cars all airbag looms and plugs are yellow sometimes just cleaning the plugs with contact cleaner can repair the faults too but if you clean the plugs just to be safe disconnect the battery.

• Like 1

cheers for the replies, I'm fairly sure the light used to work also coz it's passed 6 wofs with no prob.. I'm leaning towards the "clock spring" unit.. although, could it possibly be related to electronic hieght adjuster on the drivers seat as that has def been unplugged

I had a car that it seemed to work fine, pulled the dash out for something else and it had some weird extra circuit attached to the back of it, as far as I could see it was a timer circuit that made it light up for a couple of seconds then go out

I had the same issue in my 1990 GTO. Was quoted around $500 just for the clock spring itself from Mitsi. I just ended up taking it somewhere else for a WOF and they didn't notice.

Sounds like the wires get mangled / perish in them so if you know what you're doing you might just be able to repair the wiring on it?

sometimes there are more unused circuts left in the ribbon you can use to repair to i have found most have 6 or so wires and only use 3 or 4 of them coz they use the same ribbon for ones with steering wheel controls ect just unplug bag before trying to repair it dont take much to make them go bang 

well I fixed it, somehow.. seems that the '92 Domani doesn't use a clock spring but the classic pin and ring setup (slip ring).. five rings but instead of a pin it was two tabs on each ring,  under sprung tension when the unit is closed.. pretty simple, but all the contacts had continuity, before I put it all back together I checked the ignition and the light came on, means somethings working..  So I stuck the whole lot back together and hey presto, light goes off after 6 secs.. must have just been a lose connection somewhere.. cheers for the input..

• Like 1