Wanted, apprenticeship!

Hey guys,

I have just completed my year one (level 4) automotive engineering course out at Weltec.

I am now on the hunt for an apprenticeship in the automotive industry, ideally I'd like to get into heavy diesel but would be more than happy to do light vehicle! I received top student for 2013 and also have a great reference from my tutor.

I just thought I'd post on here first to see if you guys know of anything going in the Wellington region rather than me aimlessly handing out CV's to people that will throw them aside and will never hear from them again haha.

Can email CV and reference through to anyone if you know of anything going :)

Cheers guys!

If you want to go Diesel then go for a drive around Seaview and visit all the Heavy Diesel workshops. Cable Price, Titans, Truck Stops etc.
I gather they treat a lot of apprentices like shit to start with but get yourself into it and after 3 or 4 years it's a pretty lucrative trade.

Talk to Hemi and The Greatest Ben and get some advice from them. They are in the industry.

Hemi***.

Yeah dude honestly go into the workshops and ask to do work experience. And dont come across as a know it all.

I could recommend truck and trailer as I worked with pretty much that whole team at truck stops. Good blokes.

Would also recommend getting into a franchise as opposed to private. Tend to get alot more training and keep up to date with changes.

Takes a long time to be on good money but you can go anywhere with heavy diesel.

There's heaps around just not a lot in wellington unfortunately. Last I checked Gough group were looking for all types of apprentices (Truck, equipment and materials handling).

Forklifts are pretty sweet to work on and it's a niche sort of skill to have. At the moment I'm in a position similar to what Hemi has already mentioned, at a private workshop and the training isn't exactly structured.

Getting paid just as much as a qualified light auto technician as an apprentice though.

• 3 weeks later...