AE82 FXGT, project hotline

bobdylan

If anyone has any suggestions or advice please send it my way.

Looking at putting 100mm Trumpets on the Silvertop and running some sort of vent straight to the trumpets (with socks on), get that nice induction noise going.

Also looking at getting a set of fixed back seats if anyone knows any decent priced ones that will fit the 82's rails.

Are you using the Silvertop loom or blacktop loom and sensors etc? You need to run the AFM with silvertop from what I recall, so in stock form, i'm pretty sure it won't work properly without it. Blacktop runs a MAP sensor, which means you can run open trumpets. Looks like someone has already stolen your AFM... which isn't ideal.

The Silvertop is running a Blacktop Manual ECU and a 4afe MAP sesnor until I can afford a blacktop one. Its actually very easy to rewire the loom for the new ECU and change from AFM to Blacktop MAP. Will write a guide if anyone is intrested.

The engine has the following mods:

Blacktop intake cam

Blacktop ECU

2.5 inch exhaust

7afe headgasket (raises comp to 11:1)

Are the B/T and S/T intake cams not the same?

And it's the B/T exhaust cam that has slightly more lift that makes B/Ts interference engines?

From all the research I did into running open trumpets with no intake chamber, air intake temps are higher, being located above the exhaust sandwiched between the block and fire wall, and made no gain in power.

They sound fucking mean though, maximum DOORT spec.

Are the B/T and S/T intake cams not the same?

And it's the B/T exhaust cam that has slightly more lift that makes B/Ts interference engines?

From all the research I did into running open trumpets with no intake chamber, air intake temps are higher, being located above the exhaust sandwiched between the block and fire wall, and made no gain in power.

They sound fucking mean though, maximum DOORT spec.

The blacktop has more lift on the intake cam but the exhaust cams are the same. TBH not worth the effort but they were in the engine when we swapped it in. The 7afe headgasket rasies to comp up .5 which makes the ST 10.5 to 11 which is a bit more power. But i would personally not bother with the BT intake cam for .2mm lift. Just buy aftermarket which is what I will be doing as soon as the bank account gets a bit better,

The heat is an issue but what we are doing is building a pod that seals to the bonnet when its closed and has an vent giving the ITB's cold fresh air.

TBH she sounds mean at 8,000rpm with the poddy on it. The exhaust is decent, who ever did it, did a good job. Sounds sporty and not too loud or ricey.

• Like 1

Clippers? :P

Trim/scrape away as much of the fluff as possible and then you could try to spray some turps up there to soften the glue, let it soak, spray some more, let it soak, spray some more and then let it soak and try wipe it off with some gentle pressure.

Clippers? :P

Trim/scrape away as much of the fluff as possible and then you could try to spray some turps up there to soften the glue, let it soak, spray some more, let it soak, spray some more and then let it soak and try wipe it off with some gentle pressure.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

So yesterday was the first real time I have pushed her on gravel, and boy did she love it.

My friends parents have a farm about 20 minutes from my place which have a series of gravel paths and driveways which they let me turn into a rally stage to test my 82.

So first couple of goes, it was slow, very slow, just getting used to her, getting to know her, buying her a drink so to speak. Which highlighted a few aspects, the suspension is UBER hard, you feel every little rock, which is fine for me but will get tiring over a few stages. She rattles and clanks a lot, with no sound deading, it gets quite loud. Exhaust has a nice note and gets better with VVT and the new cams make a hell of a difference.

Decided to check everything, not leaking oil which is good, made sure everything was nice a tight and gave her a few power runs, all the way up to 8,100rpm. MY GOD the noise from the engine! She digs in deep with the front tires on launch, you can hear all the stones hit the underside of the car. The increase in speed has made the ride far harder but it holds the road well, the MRP coil overs do their job well. The turn in is crisp and she responds well to any steering adjustment, she is a hand full on the straights as she tries to wander but that’s due to the toe in the rear. Have found the handbrake hard to access when harnessed in so need to think about how I can modify this to make it easier to access, Brakes are good, the AE111 brakes far better than the stock ones but still need work as experienced some brake fade.

She slides into the turn nice and has the power to pull herself out, as long as I stay upwards of 5,000rpm she has enough power, below that she is a little lacking. Gearbox ratios are ok for gravel and 3rd gear is very useful. LSD helps on gravel.

After he high speed runs, checked her over again, everything is still ok, one small leak from the radiator hose, but replacement parts have been collected. Let her cool down and re-checked everything. Old girl is ok,

Some minor adjustments to the suspension to be made today based on what we found yesterday. More testing tomorrow and photos to come and figuring out how to upload the videos we have taken.