Valiant Camber issues

rwd_mayhem

What are the best ways to get rid of the front camber on Valiants after lowering them?

I've had a wheel alignment at Bridgestone but that didn't last long at all, driving around damaged chch roads probably hasn't helped with it much though. How often should I be getting wheel alignments? Any good places to go to in Christchurch?

I've been told you just have to deal with it but after going through 2 front Eagers in 1 year (only really driving weekends) I wanna do anything I can to get rid of the camber apart from putting the height back up as I like how it sits at the moment.

VJ Valiant Regal

As MACKAZ will likely chime in and tell you.

Camber doesnt wear tyres. (Unless you do skids with camber on the back) alignment wears tyres. Mostly toe.

get an alignment from someone whos knows what they're doing and dodge the potholes..

Righto. First find a decent alignment tech to do it. Bridgestone dont pay well so they most probably are a newbie who has no real interest in cars, or is lazy (usually the case) If you got a printout scan it and let me see it, a pic of both top control arm mounts will also help.I will then have an idea what you are up against. You'll need a set of these http://www.nolathane.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=45215 and fit them so the offset is to the outside. If they dont know how to shim properly you will end up with a crap job, full stop.

^this.

you need to find an old school type wheel alignment guy to do a valiant properly, they are a bit of a prick to do. both the camber/caster adjusters are on the top arm on an eccentric bolt.

would pay to have a real good look at all the balljoints and bushes- especially the lower arm inner bush- every valiant ive ever owned has been worn out in most of the front end parts.

they are also prone to cracks where the front upper arm foward mount is welded on to the chassis

First things first.......try a suspension shop (ie Autolign) or an older business that specializes in suspension repair, because its not what the computer screen says that matters, its the fact that the factory geometry becomes so f@*ked up you need someone that know how th counter the fact that those Valiants and E and A body mopars run positive camber and negative caster.....old cross ply technology......not big fat juicy radial technology negative caster, positive camber......

Or buy some wide oval Firestones.......

https://www.universaltire.com/firestone-tires/firestone-wide-oval/f60-15-firestone-wide-oval-raised-white-letter.html

Laycocks is pretty good, Autoalign too.

I did my VG about 5 years ago to the specifications in the Hey Charger book and it's been good ever since.

Watch that your front suspension isn't a big worn out mess though. It's a Valiant thing.

Chamberlains did mine. Was darer than expected but I tried 3 other places and they either couldn't get car on the machine, machine on the tyres because I was tucking or they plain didn't know how to do older stuff.

I chewed out skinny wheels chronic but had alignment n have not had any noticeable wear on my eagers and I drive it all the time

• Like 1

Go to Beatson Motors for a wheel alignment, at Paterson Bros in Worcester Street. He is the best I've found in town, and I've tried a lot. Great on new cars too because like tyre shops franchise dealerships can't do it either.