4age - blue, red, grey, black?

nzstato

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some 4age parts and stuff left over - not much.. But yeah, I've got the rwd head stuff just sitting in a cabinet.. And if you're interested in SHWAGS 7afe block, you're more than welcome to it after i've bought it. I'm pretty much wanting it for the head/ parts etc. 

The heads are specific aren't they? fwd 4afe's have dizzy sticking out the back towards g box, i could be wrong. I agree red top. For a revvy engine 4ages are good. I prefer T series or R series engines. I think a really minimalist 4 age would go quite hard. But they are getting hard to find, old, tired and for some reason expensive.

4AGE Red Big Port with massive cams and Silvertop rods, FWD alt and shit, tig the water pump impeller on the the shaft so it won't get yanked of by the fan or run an electric fan.

T50 for the box and if you have Power steer use the FWD stuff there to and get custom lines, works out way cheaper than trying to find the RWD specific stuff.

That's my 2 cents worth.

For various reasons will probably go electric fans.  So what does all of this stuff go for? i.e. Redtop block/T50  I'm more for buying stuff in poorer condition (because then you know its NOT good, rather than 'came off running engine') and rebuilding it.

The most recent smallport I bought was for $150, admittedly a bargain, without loom, but generally commands a higher price than the bluetop stuff, (and come sup for sale less often)

The bluetop stuff I have found has been cheap as chips, I got this 2age motor a guy had built from fresh parts for $34, I just used the head, but the hole bottom end appears new - another bluetop bottom end I got for free.

i fell like i should be in this conversation. but have nothing to say, that everyone else hasn't said already.

what ever you choose, if you're rebuilding.  bump up the compression. 12.5:1 no worries on pump gas if have good ignition control. arp rod bolts and balance are good piece of mind, for towards 9000rpm.  silvertop rods are the pick for strong na.  smallport are bigger but bit of an overkill /heavy

don't put coby's on it.

^ I was waiting for you to chime in....  I assume off the shelf performance parts for these things are easy to get?  Do the 16V heads respond well to porting, or just require casting flashes to be tickled up?

What sort of $$$ to you expect to pay for a 22 spline t50?

agree^     A series bell housing is just as expensive as a t50,  you could probably pick up a t50 minus the bell or with a T series bell for around 300.   but the A series bell going to cost you that again.

yeh parts are easy to get for them.

heads will respond well to porting.  but as usual, long as who ever doing it, knows there stuff.    can do some simple stuff yourself to make them better though. chop the bumps and sharp edges out in the chambers.  in the ports they usually have some nasty bumps below the valve seats, both on inlet and exhaust.   tidying them up can help.   but may want to reseach how much to take out if you haven't done it before.    there is a post somewhere what i did to my last one. which goes real good for what it is. but is still a bit of a guess. as did it without a flow bench or anything.

.5mm head skim and .8mm trd head gasket.  is good for more compression.  depends what pistons you're planing on running though

You mean this? http://garage4ag.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/head/

I was considering building a DIY flow bench to check some port work I have been doing on some 202 motors (not that it is difficult to make those things flow better), will cross that bridge if I get there.

I assume it is possible to just run a megasquirt to control the ignition timing?  I'd run it with a AFR sensor downstream, can the MS be programmed to pull a few degrees of timing out if it goes lean?  I also assume it is relatively easy to procure an aftermarket crank pulley with trigger?

yeh ms will run ignition,  should be able to do afr ignition trim with it. but cant say for sure, haven't done megasquirt stuff for ages.

anything stopping you going full efi?  (itb's) over carbs?

you can run a megasquirt on the factory triggers in the dizzy.  had best results using zeal daughter board  for the factory triggers.

another cheap option would be to get an old v4 / v5 link, and use that for ignition control.  you'd have to find one setup for toyota triggers though.

if you want super hassle free. run a g4 link and itb's.  could even give you my tune for base tune.