Daves 1974 BMW E3

Brock-Lee

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

too rich for my blood^

So it did fail but most of it can be sorted in an afternoons work.

Front lower ball joint is going to be the biggest pain but pretty sure He will give me a wof while a new control arm is on the way from germany haha

Man it is super fun to drive haha

EDIT: holy shit, a new LCA is going to cost me 150 euro + shipping!

Do I have to pay VAT? Daaaaaaaym

I just bought a rear wheel bearing kit for this from germany, does anyone know if a 'kit' normally comes with a series of shims required to set the bearing clearance?

Probably shouldve checked but I only thought about it now haha.

Wheel bearings are normally adjusted by winding a nut up with taper roller type (though it's very unlikely to be taper roller on the drive wheel) or they are a normal type bearing which has a spacer from the factory to set the clearance and does not need to be adjusted.

Although I have not seen your car in particular I'm fairly certain that these will be the hard and fast rules.

Unless you are taking the crownheel bearing in the diff?

PS - did you try Speed or EML?

wheel bearing kit was $30 from DE so I didnt bother but I need to give them a call about that lower arm and ball joint.

It has 2 deep groove bearings in the hub and the clearance between them is via a spacer tube which is underlength and it is then shimmed out to give req. clearance. The manual mentions that this clearance needs to be set when changing bearings so yeh, will see what happens when I pull it apart haha.