Lowering compression ratios on a 20v silvertop 7agTe

ae85 fiend

Hey guys,

So i'm building a 7agte for my ae85. Just saw SamQ's rough estimate on CR's with the different 4ages/ TRD HG's/ 7A bottom ends:

http://s-86.com/s-cr-chart.html

I plan on running 20v silvertop pistons, my forged 7afe conrods, and the 7a bottom end. which supposedly gives me a CR of 11.5... I'm just curious as to what would be the benefits/ negatives of running a turbo'd engine with a higher CR like that? As from what i've read online, everyone that turbo's engines seem to be wanting in the 8's/ low 9's?

And, if it is that bad to be running a 11.5 Compression ratio on that type of engine, what would be the best way to lower it, apparently changing the headgasket would be the easiest, but what else? I've read somewhere about decking the block or something?

And what sort of CR would be the best for both responsiveness and driveability? somewhere like 10.1 ish?

If you can actually make heads or tails about what I wrote, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Liam

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for lowering compression. Crank with shorter stroke will lose you capacity. And good luck finding one.

Slightly shorter conrods is an option, but expensive.

Best bet is either get your pistons machined down a bit to drop the compression (get it done by someone who knows what they are doing as pistons can play a big part in the swirl in the chamber) or swap them for some other pistons.

You may find ZE pistons are dished enough to allow valve clearances on the 20V head, but check beforehand.

It all depends on how much boost ya wanna run. 11.5 is way too high for any sort of boost, without running on some ultra-high octane juice like race gas / av-gas / methanol

Was looking at about 14psi, but realistically probably 8-10, probably 8 to start off with though.

Yea if you want to fill up every 10min, rather run Methanol when it comes to alchy, E85 only makes sense if its legal in your race class or whatever

So only blacktops are inference factory yowzer, he has some decent rods xssteve. I would aim for somewhere around 10:1 for a nice street set-up which puts you in the relms of the late model ZE pistons with your bottom end (if you believe that chart).

Don't think he is ever on here but baz from here http://www.mrpltd.co.nz/aboutus.html is who I would be asking all these questions