Kicker's GS Thou

kicker

Here's my new toy, a 1979 Suzuki GS1000

IMG_20130110_143246.jpg

Needs a little tidy up, have already accumulated some bits, like a wire front wheel and am tracking down a rear.

Thinking of going for a Wes Cooley replica/brat style

wes_cooley_gs1000.jpg

Apparently it has a Yoshi cam so should have a couple more beans.

Already got some NOS stickers to rice it up

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

More pics soon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^Could be a plan, I have 2 at the moment which I will chuck on but I'll need some more if I decide to repaint the tank.

The bike is in pretty good shape, looks as though someone was in the process of restoring it, the gauges are all clean and sparkly and the odo has been reset to 00000

As spotted, the Raask rearsets are a bonus, they are not too extreme either so should be comfy as.

It didn't come with any keys but I have some old suzuki keys which work in the ignition and tank but I can't unlock the seat so will see how much a locksmith will charge/screwdriver it ha

Once I get the seat off I can put a battery in and try and start it.

Managed to get the seat off, took a bit of effort but unbolted the catch from the seat so now I can get to the battery and under the tank.

So far it needs: battery, front wheel bearings, o-ring for master cylinder reservoir, front brake disc (one is the wrong type), chain and sprockets (I'll change to 530 series from the massive 630 on there from factory), street rear tyre, some fuel hose and a bracket welded on the exhaust.

IMG_20130111_124344.jpg

Have been working on a few things to get it ready for a revin.

Welded a bracket on the exhaust so it wasn't just swinging in the breeze, I'll replace the muffler at some point but this will get me going at least.

IMG_20130116_111248.jpg

IMG_20130116_121656.jpg

Bled the rear brakes, reassembled front master and reservoir so it's ready to fill up with fluid.

Dissassembled and cleaned the carbs, just need to buy some cap screws then I'll check float levels and reassemble.

Picked up a rear wire rim so will change the bearings and bang some tyres on them

IMG_20130116_121828.jpg

I pulled the valve cover off and checked the clearances.

They are a shim over bucket setup, I'd bought this tool before I got the bike, made it a piece of cake getting the shims out, all were within tolerances which saved me from having to buy any.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

IMG_20130116_133934.jpg

Only downside is that the gasket is poked so I have got one ordered.

Also got a battery, flasher unit and some fuel filters on the way, not long till I can fire it up.

• Like 1

Have been working on the fork seals, what a ballbag job.

The easy way was to just pressurise the forks and the seal pops out on its own, I had 180psi in them all night and they didn't budge. Took a drill, dremel and a punch to get them out.

20130119_142405.jpg

20130119_142411.jpg

Bit of a mess at the moment

IMG_20130117_130040.jpg

Now I'm waiting for a valve cover gasket, caliper rebuild kits, brake pads and battery to arrive.

I need to clean the tank and I think I'll pull the engine out and paint it black.

Once the above shit is done it should just be tyres, chain and sprockets then it's all go

Looking forward to doing some mods rather than just revin shit.

It seems this bike may have been hastily assembled for sale at some point, which would could possibly be explained by the fact that the guy I bought it off got it from an estate sale that included a large number of bikes. As with any large collection of old vehicles there are always a number that are sitting partly dismantled and having to reassemble something out of a pile of stuff that you didn't take apart or are familiar with can be tricky.

So far I have found two mismatching items, one of the forks is wrong, it is identical to the other but the caliper mounts are too low and the rearsets also don't match, they put the pegs in slightly different locations haha.

So I'll guess I'll roll single disc to start with until I can source another fork leg and I'll see which rearset's geometry I prefer then cut new matching brackets of of some alloy.

Note the mismatching fonts and size of brackets

20130119_142545.jpg

20130119_142514.jpg

Still, I installed some new wheel bearings and the mismatched forks have new seals and oil in them so some progress is being made

• 3 weeks later...

Got it running today, fired up first pop, sounds good too

It suffers from the typical starter clutch problem that old zooks have but on the plus side the charging system still works well.

Also had an oil leak as the oil pressure switch cover wasn't bolted up tight, one of the many loosely assembled parts.