Truenotch's velo projects

Truenotch

So this thing started as a Healing Minimax 16" BMX that I decided to chop up. Probably shouldn't have ruined it, but it was cheap and I don't really care for nostalgic kids bikes.

So this was the original plan:

2012-04-21+15.57.37.jpg

I had no idea about what the engine or driveline was going to do, all I cared about was that the bike is small and potentially scary.

Fast forward 6 months and not much had happened, but I did acquire a blackout generator. It's 2.5kva and the motor is 7hp according to their website, bonus! http://www.blackoutp...&products_id=23

I moved cities and the two halves of my bike came too, along with some 50x25mm thinwall box section that I'd used for a job on my AE86. Thanks to 10-5 and Yowzer's garage, I was able to play chop/weld one afternoon and ended up with this:

12-1-2.jpg

mexi style:

12-1-3.jpg

Then put my motor in (backwards, hah) for a test fit - it's tight!

12-1-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

... It's quite wide compared to my frame!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers man, it's very small!

So today I spend a bit more time chopping and test-fitting with a driveline in mind. The first thing to figure out was a seat and also how to add enough width for an extra rim for the drive:

2012-11-18+15.47.44.jpg

And a couple of test fits with short bars and long bars:

2012-11-18+15.27.32.jpg

2012-11-18+15.38.16.jpg

I'd changed my mind on the powerplant and was thinking about going small-capacity for this bike... But I sat the motor in there, and it really looks the part!! Should I stick with it?

2012-11-18+16.08.15.jpg

2012-11-18+16.10.12.jpg

I also decided that it needed less rake after seeing Seedy's bike in action at Dromageddon... I also needed more space for the engine (sparkplug was fouling on the frame), so I chopped out the seat post and gave it a tweak up. Then I made a piece for the front to replace the factory tube I'd bent... It's starting to look more like a motorbike.

2012-11-18+18.32.49.jpg

Oh yeah, I owe you a set of front forks for a girls bike Yowzer :P .

holy box tube bat man

Yeah use that motor, it does look lush

Its a shame you cut out the bot braket though for the factory crank, that would ahve worked nicly as a lay shaft

Also get round to cutting off the cover round drive side of the engine, will give you a better idea of how wide the motor is. unles you plan on using that as a leg gaurd

maybe not a bad idea haha, My innder leg is soooooo fucken bruised)

It still has the bottom bracket / pedal mounts there but the bearings are fucked from when I welded the bottom tube to it, so it's become an ornament :P . I'm planning to run a narrow lay shaft part way up the vertical tube at the rear - then the belt will be inside the rear forks and I'll be able to remove it without cutting the frame in half.

Any idea what sort of reduction I should aim for Allan? My motor will be pretty similar to yours.

Yeah thats why you have a Signiture Money/ hunny badger Bike :P

I will measure up my pullys tomorrow for you mate

Just remember you will be running a smaller rare wheel, so you can go bigger if you want,

Guess it depends on what speed you want haha

We all know mine does 80.

Sweet, cheers for that. I think 10-5 is running about 4:1 reduction to his rear wheel (which would be similar diameter to mine) but I'll have more RPM to use, so I'd be guessing somewhere around 8:1 might be right?

It's bound to be wrong at first anyway :P .

Reckon a sneaky layshaft underneath the cylinder is a good idea? Space is pretty limited and I want to move the drive inwards as soon as possible to save my shoelaces.

Yeah thats why you have a Signiture Money/ hunny badger Bike :P

I will measure up my pullys tomorrow for you mate

Just remember you will be running a smaller rare wheel, so you can go bigger if you want,

Guess it depends on what speed you want haha

We all know mine does 80.

Just in case others read this and buy the wrong size shit, this statement is incorrect. Rear wheel size will make no significant change to front pulley size due to it all being close enough to 1:1 from drive rim to tire rim so any size rear wheel will give you more or less the same reduction ratios.

goto motorized bikes.com and download the gear ratio calculator. its real sweet. Can I have the grips, the front tyre, the rims, the bb , cranks n pedals, the bars, the stem, and the headset off the minimax? edit: and the seat, and seat post