Rust repairs legalitys

MRWEST

What are the legalities around rust repairs...

Prior to a vin.

Such as say sills or a floor pan.

Does it need to be done by a panel beater with a repair cert OR can it be done as long as its in a tradesman like manner".

Whats the rules say anyone know?

you can do it ursef but you have to get a repair certifier to sign it off to say its safe and done probperly and his happy with it etc when you take it to compliance to get the car tested for revin etc you show them the repair cert that he has sgin. certifier will look at the car first and point out to you what you have to replace and what you can repair, they take photos for all the areas of repair azwell.

As far as I'm aware you don't need a repair cert unless the car was tagged for rust when it came into the country or has failed a re-vin and the guy doing it has said you need one. If you do the repairs well no body should be able to tell anyway

yeah figured youd be best to get a repair certer on board at the start to avoid rework or hard questions....just figuring if its worth us doing it ourselves or just get panelbeater to do it all

Sounds like the best bet. Your friendly local certifier will be able to give you a firm answer as to whether the rust is structural or just cosmetic. If it's not structural and they inspect the car first they should be happy for you to repair it yourself and as JasonK mentions above, a repair cert wouldn't be expected. If your certifier inspects the car and finds a lot of rot in structural locations it will be a whole different story and they can then advise you on the next steps.

Alternatively, if the car is inoperable you might be able to take photo's into them, or even post photo's here for our own friendly certifier cletus to comment on.

In my experience when I have taken cars through the vin process, if they found rust or old repairs then I had to get a repair cert.

If you do tackle the rust without getting a repair certifier onboard to start with, make sure you take heaps of photos of the repairs and welds. I think they like to see them before they are ground back too.

And choose your repair certifier carefully. Some of them are complete wankers.

You don't need a repear cert if you do it your sef and do a good job so no one can see it or take it to the pnallel beeter and don't tell the VIN people ,

They can make you sandblast the whole underbody if they find a small spot of rust, so make sure you underseal and panit over any chips and surfis rust or you have to pay some one with his socks pulled upto his knees 100 bucks a min to do nothing

Im most likely replacing whole floor pan and sills anyways so there wont be anything left thats rusty haha...

Panelbeater might be the go, the vin guy is round the corner so can check on it while its underway to make sure hes happy.

JUst want to make sure we do it once and right as not a job i want to be doing twice.

yep thats the way man! i started on imported cars from japan that needed repair certs and yep you need one if its taged or not its the law!

contact a certifier and talk to them its the best way dude, they will tell you how it is.

its worthwile getting a repair certifier involved earlier than later.

ive had a customer with a nice freshly painted hq ute, have to strip off the new paint to get a repair cert for re reg. cost him about 13k to get it back to where it was in the first place

• Like 1

its worthwile getting a repair certifier involved earlier than later.

ive had a customer with a nice freshly painted hq ute, have to strip off the new paint to get a repair cert for re reg. cost him about 13k to get it back to where it was in the first place

Holy shit!

JUst want to make sure we do it once and right as not a job i want to be doing twice.

Worth noting that not all panel beaters are created equal! Have a talk with someone like Tony at Custom Metalshapers in East Tamaki if you want it done right. Ive seen alot of people spend a heap of money on body work from local panel beaters only to end up disapointed and out of pocket. There is a reasonable chance that the new rockers and pans won't be a direct fit without mods and this is where people like Tony with well equiped workshops (best ive seen) really add value. Who ever you use ask to see their shop and if it consists of a mig and some tins of bog best try somewhere else.