Matt's hairdresser spec Mazda of lame.

mjrstar

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would look at other options if the car had a suitable start tune - (tow start) but seeing as i will be needing to tinker with major fuelling changes and crank enrichment to get it fired up i need to be able to crank the engine for 10-15 seconds at a time.

• Like 1

I have found myself rather proficient and starter removal and installation (not the easiest of tasks with the turbo all bolted up) ias i have been trying a few ideas to improve the gearmesh on the starter. shifting the starter outwards radially from the ring gear a couple of mm as suggested sounded like a good place to start but no joy.

I machined this up at work on Friday (on my day off) although it does not seem to have made much difference..

20140815_130548_zps20b24a2e.jpg

Stater is not sounding 100% healthy on the bench test so might be time to pull it to bits for a clean-up. really could do with finding a 4E toyota starter to compare tooth profile

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So clearly I am an instrumentation technician. I know how to use a decade box...  :P

20141015_172226_zpsf3zkgjmx.jpg

20141015_173307_zpsgvcdtfiw.jpg

turns out that the internet lied to me and the signal range is actually 10-70 ohms to to a full sweep of the oil pressure and that 41.90 ohms is around 2kg/cm2.

this would be cool if the second hand sender i brought actually worked, which it does not.. So the plan is to go aftermarket with a built in idiot light, but unless I'm mistaken then I can only buy senders with a 10-180 ohm range, but I should be able to get something of ~114 ohms in parallel and the sender and gauge will play happy families?

Based on:
1/180 = .00556 (new sender)
1/70 = .14286 (old sender)

.014286-.00556 = .00873 (new sender minus old sender)

1/.00873 = 114.54 Ohms

20141015_172302_zpsynervtbt.jpg

Before you nerds suggest that kg/cm2 and bar are not the same thing , yes i agree but given the scale on ths gauge i don't think there is enough disparity to get carried away on that..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still working through small issues to tidy up before more tuning takes plance, one of which was bonnet retention.. So hopefully these should prevent having to use a tie-down to hold the bonnet.. It would have been good to keep the original catch but that had to get binned to make way for the intercooler..

20141118_175733_zpsxum9phwz.jpg

20141118_192404_zpsopxbrji8.jpg

Also do we appear to be winning at cold air intake??

Before anyone pipes up yes these are supposed to be mounted fore/aft but that ould only work with the catches backwards and an ugly pin angle so sideways made more sense..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So.. have put a few more k's on this machine, and found a couple of niggles - a small defect in the coil wiring saw it drop onto 3 cylinders, took a while to find the problem but that's all sorted (still need to re-tidy the loom though).

The master fab man was executing some lightening quick gearchanges (the clutch seems up for it which is good) but the weld from the gearlever to the hardened universal was not so happy (and of course it was in 6th gear which made for an interesting limp home) this area has now been reinforced with some extra mounting bracket to transfer the load.

Managed to get the factory oil pressure gauge to sweep the correct way with the aftermarket VDO sender - although the range isn't quite right it does respond reasonably well.

The last issue was a sudden lean-out (pretty short duration so shouldn't have done much in the way of damage), I have dropped a new walbro pump into the tank but have not been out for a road test to confirm the AFR's are all good again.. But the motor now has about 100k's on it, and has seen 16psi boost and 6000rpm now so it's pretty well seen all the "running in" it's going to. Hopefully the fuel pump sorts the issue - if not it might be a regulator I guess.

Next mission is probably sorting out the seats.

I have only driven 1 gemini what a weird gearlever position...

on 1 bar it goes about the same as my 230 wheel kw evo. Much slower than my falcon but faster than your average 1800 turbo mx5.

It feels like it should have potential on 24psi to drag off a 2zz corolla.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Seats sorted, also the new fuel pump has cured the lean issue.

Had to mod the trans tunnel some more and ditch the original rear seat mounts..

20141228_173009_zpsevyadlqk.jpg

The base template was a good time saving idea and to save in and outs of the seats and ease of welding / positioning.

20141228_183032_zpsme8fsf5w.jpg

20141228_200322_zpstozscgqk.jpg

also had my first tinker with the virtual dyno freeware which is pretty cool.

Car is making around 190kw on 1.1 bar at 5000 rpm. So should make the 250-260 kw target easily..

• Like 3