Engine overheating, possiblities?

Beaver

Right, I have one a12 engine which like to get very hot very quickly.

Water use is minimal (in the time it takes to get hot which is say 10mins of driving, will happily idle at halfway on the gauge for ever and ever and not use water).

Radiator has been flushed (with a hose haha) and returned all matter of brown particles and crud.

When reved with the cap off water appears to be moving around suggesting the water pump is working (in one way or another).

No change in behavoiur with or without a thermostat (which was opening and closing as expected).

Suggestions? Ideas?

Can radiators be tested? or not worth the effort? Should I whip the waterpump off and see what it looks like? Is it a possible BHG? Havnt dropped sump/oil but dipstick shows no water, and there is no visible evidence of oil in the water.

get the radiator flushed properly.

like get the tanks taken off and the core flushed out by a radiator re builders.

i reckon you will find its about 80% blocked.

mmm yummy. its not in the best shape (fins look fairly shgged in places etc) so will they be able to tell me what its performance is like or should I try get another/better one to start with?

get the radiator flushed properly.

like get the tanks taken off and the core flushed out by a radiator re builders.

i reckon you will find its about 80% blocked.

mmm yummy. its not in the best shape (fins look fairly shgged in places etc) so will they be able to tell me what its performance is like or should I try get another/better one to start with?

Mark at Abel Smith Radiators is a top guy who knows his shit if you require his services and want to pull it out and drop it off to him. We've been using him for 20 years or some crazy amount of time and he hasn't let us down.

(04) 3850580

Well i was travelling to kaikoura and she over heated possibly because of the manner she was being driven 120kms in 4spd. filled her up with cold water and was okay think the top hose was blocked slighty. drives okay now. looking at a new radiator though

Check the routing of your hoses i just sorted this issue on my car heater pipe had been looped up meaning the water wasnt circulating in the head put them back how they were supposed to be now problem gone... well apart from the gauge is also stuffed in the dash so external gauge also was needed. hope one of these 2 could help.

Beave as your mechanic... LOL

I suggest you take the radiator out and get it flushed/rodded/recored. Mark @ Abel Smith as per Shaz's advice, he will tell you whats the best course of action - mention my name for a sweet deal if you like. If you leave it with him it won't take more than a couple of days max.

Replace the thermostat and fuck it- chuck a water pump at it for piece of mind - water pump and stat with some antifreeze shouldn't set you back more than a hundred.

Radiator would be $50ish for a rod and clean. $250 for a recore.

Do it all now and will give you piece of mind.. Nothing worse than a persistently overheating car during the summer break when nothing is open.

Beave as your mechanic... LOL

I suggest you take the radiator out and get it flushed/rodded/recored. Mark @ Abel Smith as per Shaz's advice, he will tell you whats the best course of action - mention my name for a sweet deal if you like. If you leave it with him it won't take more than a couple of days max.

Replace the thermostat and fuck it- chuck a water pump at it for piece of mind - water pump and stat with some antifreeze shouldn't set you back more than a hundred.

Radiator would be $50ish for a rod and clean. $250 for a recore.

Do it all now and will give you piece of mind.. Nothing worse than a persistently overheating car during the summer break when nothing is open.

lubs. that is the plan. will whip rad out tonight and drop in there tomorrow.

BNT for waterpump etc or just smash up repco?