keltiks Madass 50 of Chinese Forgery

keltik

Hey boes, Had a couple questions i wanted to ask about rebuilding my scoots and figured i'd throw them in here to make it all nice and neat.

Have a scooter which is a clone of a Madass 50. Its made by the same company in China who produce the genuine Sachs madass and they also produce subtly different variants for different markets. For the Chinese market - they produce the same bike but with a mash up of different bits on it. Some are identical components as on the Sachs bike but most are shoddy sub-standard parts made from cheaper materials. I suspect they did this to save money and make the bike cometitive against the Sachs version.

So anyways. When i bought it, it would hit 60kph on the flat. Whipped off the air filter which was full of poo and instantly i could hit about 70 flat out. Swapped the front sprocket to something bigger and got up to 80kph on the flat - tucked. Then i found out the 50 it was supposed to have was actually a 70cc which explained the 'performance'.

Picked up a crate motor from trademe for $280 and scored a fat bore 125 from Lifan. Bolted it in and this is where my problems kinda started.

First i managed to snap 2 of the bolts holding the front brake disc on. I was doing them up with a 1/4inch drive ratchet and 2 of them just sheared clean off. One of the engine cradle bolts has sheared off inside the frame and since the rear swingarm also bolts to the engine cradle - this makes it handle a bit wonky.

Then my electrics shat the bed and the stator on the new motor doesnt have enough grunt to run the projector headlamps.

Then the rear swingarm snapped at 80kph with a passenger on the back - so i learned its not really suitable for carrying people. Then i arsed off it at the velodrome and broke a few more bits. So now its rebuild time!

Havnt bothered taking any pics of it because its a haggard ugly lump of shit - but you can see it on the left here!

scoot3.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So first up I've ordered a new rear tire to replace the bald Huangdou which was so hard it refused to leave a black line anywhere and just turned to dust. It was also lethal as all fuckery in the wet. So got a Michelin postie bike tire on the way from cycletreads. Im also slowly going through the entire frame and replacing every fastener with a new item made from steel that doesnt snap if you use coarse language near it. Also repainting the frame in hammerite black.

Next i wanna replace the bushes in the rear swingarm. Im wondering if i should even bother having rubber bushes in there or just machine up some solid bushes? Its pretty loose and floppy at the moment and im sure its not supposed to be.

I need to rewire parts of the bike to run LED lamps. Im tossing up between running an LED headlamp or HID, they are projector lamp housings so reflector design isnt as much of an issue.

I also need to find a smaller rear sprocket, wanting something around a 46 tooth to suit 420 chain.

Finally i want to find a nice cam to suit the motor. Its a 1P54 Lifan, pretty sure the head is different to the 1P52 which seems more common.

Thoughts on any of the above greatly appreciated.

Well, I can get bronze bushes near the size you need, and machine to suit if you want to go away from rubber? Will transfer a lot more vibration tho. Putting two new bushes on the magic made a fucking huge difference tbh. I dont really know much about any of the rest of your questions tho.

Alright im gonna go to an engineers tomorrow and get a new swingarm made. My one snapped again on the opposite weld to last time. So im not keen to trust it any longer.

Took the wheel off, rested the bike on the ground and it simply mushed itself into 2 pieces. What a fucking terrible steel!

Question: Why does my swingarm have a bend in it? Is it purely aesthetics? Can i make the new one straight out of box section instead of pipe?

Not shown is the shock mount that goes between the top of the 2 arches, i think the gusset was added for something to do with that.

Engineer wants a million dollars to make it so im gonna get some pipe and ask VG very nicely if he would be so kind as to tack it up.