keltiks Madass 50 of Chinese Forgery

keltik

Alright so its been a while and ive been a bit slack with this thing so the last 2 weeks i decided to make some progress.

I just couldnt get the motivation to make a new swingarm so just chopped the old one in half, sleeved it with some steam pipe and got an engineer guy to weld it all back together for me. So hopefully it will now be strong enough for another year or so of abuse.

For the shocking handling, i tried to eliminate as much movement in the rear arm as possible. So i put some new bushes in it, used some big washers on either side of the arm pivot bolt to stop the arm from moving laterally along the pivot and reattached the engine to the frame properly. Every bolt i removed i have attempted to replace with a cap screw or bolt from my Subaru parts collection.

Ive begun the re-wiring and have some questions;

Green is ground, red is battery 12v and everything else is multicolored but makes sense to me. Theres also a black wire from the reg/rec which was previously hooked up to all of the lights. Im guessing this was an AC feed? I plan on running LED lighting so should i still use the black feed or just run everything from battery 12v?

At the moment i havnt got a battery hooked up but my terminals are reading 4v at idle. I was expecting more but idle is pretty low so i guess its possible thats all it produces. The stator has a white and a yellow wire coming out of it and the rectifier has 2 yellow wires so i guess it doesnt matter which way round ive got them hooked up?

Finally, Using a plank of wood in place of the rear shock, i trialed a few different ride heights and found if i could get a shock about 180mm eye to eye, i could run it quite low and still have everything work. Only shocks i can find in this size range are downhill bicycle shocks but i dont know if they'd be up to the task. Thoughts?

46047_10152289938785164_1347175417_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright so black wire was the sense wire for the regulator. Ive reinstalled the standard shock for now but have everything arranged so i can slam it if i wish.

Got the headlights, horn, charging system, engine electrics, gauges and stop light sorted. Next i gotta figure out the mystery insanity of the turn signal system.

It looks to me like the power feed to the turn signals go through the flasher unit, then to the indicator switch, then out to each of the lamps and the dash light....then at some point theres a mystery diode.... Any ideas?

Getting a new exhaust bent up tomorrow then all thats left to figure out is a fuel tap. Got a couple im bidding on with trademe just blind hoping one of them fits. Pictures in the next update.

So got a fuel tap and filter sorted, still a bit of sandblasting media in the tank so im glad i put that filter in before i did anything else.

The muffler shop couldnt do much with 1inch pipe and didnt have a very tight radius for the bender in that size so i gave up and splashed out on a new stainless pipe and muffler from trademe. For $50 it was probably worth it. Just one muffler wasnt quite cutting it so i chopped two together and now it has a nice note without drawing too much attention. Looks a bit funny but so does everything else so who cares.

IMG_20121129_184349_0.jpg

Took it for a ride with VG and it went pretty well. The tail light fell to bits ($35 for a new LED one) and the rear indicators have started going a bit white so got a new pair of those too ($15 for a pair).

Should have those bits along with a new chain sorted by Wednesday then i can begin chasing the rough running issue its having. It starts first kick, idles well cold and hot, rides fine at very low throttle openings and seems to go alright from 3/4 onwards....but in the middle around 1/4 throttle - it fucks about quite badly. Feels like its running out of fuel so i think it might be severely lean. Already have the needle on its highest stop, dont know whether to throw a bigger main jet in it or try finding a new needle. Thoughts?

PS. New rear tyre is a MASSIVE improvement over the old. Will spring for a Michelin for the front too.

• 1 month later...

Got a new tyre on the front, went for a ride and found the jetting was all to piss.

Went up from a 105 to a 115 on the main and got the top end nearly right. Then went from a 20 to a 27.5 on the primary. Idle is now as rich as i can comfortably have it and the first 1/4 of the throttle is acceptable tho still on the lean side. Got the needle on its bottom clip with a washer spacing it up a bit more....so i dont think theres a lot more i can do since getting a new needle or slide isnt really an option.

It rides well, heeeeeaps better than before the rebuild. Quite happy with how things are going, gonna get a few more k's on it and then this winter rip the head off and open it up a bit. New cam should make this motor sing as it should. Currently topping out at 95-100kph on the flat.

matahina_zps6a27cdae.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...