Bullitt's Lotus

Bullitt

Its now been over three years since I've owned an interesting car as Ive been saving for a house/garage/more expensive car but as of yesterday I managed to tick off the final one on that list. Not Old School but people on here may be interested anyway.

Its a 2000 Lotus Elise with only 16,000 miles on it. It came into NZ in 2004 with only 4,000 miles on it so its extremely tidy. It also has a hardtop including its proper bag so it can be hung on the wall. Its pretty much standard other than a K&N, VVC Plenum, short shifter, HID lights (which I'll likely bin) and a diffuser. It had personalised plates on it which the owner has kept so itll be getting the ones I already have on it in the next few weeks.

10062012200.jpg

10062012201.jpg

IMAG0060_resize.jpg

IMAG0011_resize.jpg

As you can probably imagine my mortgage is looking abit sicker now that it was last week so I dont have too many immediate plans for it. People keep telling me i'll want to modify it which will probably happen...but not this year.

Hell yeah. Being another ex-UK Lotus I'd be terrified about taking anything off for fear of what it might look like underneath. I imagine George would have cast an eye over it ensuring it all appeared to be in good order pre-purchase?

This answers a couple of questions too, I saw an update on facebook with a tagged image and thought the name sounded like yours. Nice purchase, I've always had a real soft spot for the Elise, ever since I saw the kerb weight figure.

Hell yeah. Being another ex-UK Lotus I'd be terrified about taking anything off for fear of what it might look like underneath. I imagine George would have cast an eye over it ensuring it all appeared to be in good order pre-purchase?

It's very NZ-spec underneath. I'm pretty sure it didn't see any winter running in the UK, at least not enough to corrode any of the usual bits that suffer.

This car is A1, and goes doort. Lots of fun times ahead.

The HID's look heaps yellower in shot than they do IRL!

LOL those are the sidelights, which are incandescent. HIDs in Paul's car are dazzle-spec. Thankfully the rear of the Exige is high and tinted ;)

Yeah Paul's sidelights are MUCH brighter than my OEM ones, actually nearly as bright as a dipped beam really. I'm not sure what spec they are but I'd be getting them back to stock for fear of overloading the wiring etc.

Paul, I've got a workshop and parts manual here in PDF form that'll be essential bedtime reading for you. 26MB and 10MB so I can get them to you through yousendit or something if you like.

Paul picked the car up from its old owner. It was an Auckland car, now a Wellington car. We went for a quick blat on Sunday evening.

Elise engine is Rover K-series 1.8, same engine as an MGF in pretty much every way.

Refresh it over winter?

ROFL

I don't have any photos with the HID's on. They'd probably over expose anyway :lol:

Workshop manual would definately be helpful. No idea what usend it is, assuming its something like imageshack for documents?

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted a new battery and replaced the tyre weld as its something like 8 years old and I didnt trust it to work(they dont have a spare tyre).

Such a pain to get to the battery, its about a foot lower than the opening for it with no spare space on any side of it to get your hands around it to lift it or get it past the cables. Had to take the radiator trim surround and windscreen washer motor cover off just to get the battery out. All appears to be working well now though.

It's a prick of a job Paul You;re lucky though because that Oddyssey battery is smaller than standard. Yes, the radiator trim and wiper motor cover needs to come off to get it out. No point even trying to do it with them in place :)

What battery did you replace it with by the way? Another Odyssey or something like a Bosch battery for the application?

Like many Elise jobs, it's all about technique... replacing the battery next time will be a much quicker job, as you'll know the tricks first-up :)