ChuckD's '84 944 RS

sheepers

Hah, yeah, I know what you mean, but I've always like the front-engined Porsches. Until they ruined it with the Cayenne and the Panamera.

So, I bought one, and set about making it better.

Wheels are BBS RS (obviously) built up from parts, bought in from the US. Rears are 10" et 15, fronts 9" et 23.3 - no-one makes skinny/wide tyres in a 16" any more so meaty tyres with a bit of stretch were the go.

Work is in progress on a splitter for the front - nothing flashy, just plywood.

The 2.7 should be around 180hp, but I'm guessing some horses have escaped over time. Engine rebuild with ITBs in the future.

Suspension is next though.

The rears are 245 Hankook Ventus, the fronts are 225 T1R's - so not a huge stretch, just enough to fit under the car until a little more camber is applied. I've maxed the front adjusters and the rear adjustment is tricky - need a special Porsche tool to adjust toe at the same time.

The ride height actually went up when I pulled out all the weight, so I dropped the back of the car on the ride height eccentrics. I could go further by replacing them with a normal bolt - but then the amount of reverse rake would tear a hole in the universe, and the car would be undersprung/damped.

The engine was based on half of the 928 engine with balance shafts to stop it shaking apart. You can remove them for about 8 extra hp, but things start shaking loose and cracking, especially the oil pickup tube. Which is not good.

The 2.7 8v engine in it was made in 1989 only, with the 104mm bore block of the 3.0, but the 2.5 crank. The head got nice big valves, and wide intake ports. Someone retrofitted this engine to the car, however, and it's still running on the '84 Bosch computer, except with later injectors, fuel pump, and fuel reg. This needs looking at as well. There's a list.

@cletus I've thought about building a rat 924 a few times - banded steels, stripped interior, drop in an Audi 5cyl turbo...

@snoozin Yeah, no worries that'd be cool - I'm in Akl.

if your in Auckland you and your car should come to the next burger fuel meet.

its on the 16th, there is a thread with the details in the upper north island section.

be great to check out the car and there will be heaps of OS peeps there so you can put some faces to names.

sheepers.

Anyhow, suspension. Porsche raided the parts bin - front is VW A1 platform - golf control arms, struts are similar enough that a race coilover for that platform might work. Anyone got any leads/ideas/experience there?

If not - the struts themselves are good, and rebuildable - so then I'm looking for a good/cheap set of fresh inserts first, and I'll cut off the stock spring perches and add coilover collars. Do coilover sleeves have to be weld-on to get a cert?

The rear suspension is a kind of modified VW super beetle - same rear control arms, different torsion bar setup. I can add coilovers as well as the torsion bars, but then to have adjustability I'll have to either reindex or remove the torsion bars so that the coilovers take the load.

These will fit http://autofabcart.net/qa1promastarsing ... unted.aspx

Just simply gorgeous. Nice to see a car like this on here. I would love a 924 turbo with the psychedelic seat patterns. Hmmmmm.

I'd be keeping that interior as is. The seats like great and well classy. That's a look that is hard to attain, whereas bucket seats and stripped out interiors addorn many a shittier car.

Yeah, they're late (post '86) power seats. Heavy to the tune of 18kg. They looked ok when the interior was brown, but now I've retrimmed and dyed everything it's time for a change.

The theory behind this build is lightweight/responsive NA tune/good handling. Minimalist.

Nope, no logo'd up seats. I've got my eye out for a pair of nice plain ones.

As for suspension, I'm thinking of trimming a little off the springs in the front while I work out how I'll sort it properly. Just to see how it sits.

Threaded-body struts are quite expensive (bilstein are $700 the pair) and hard to find.

To do it properly I'll I reckon have to go with some coil-over sleeves, springs and spring hats. Will put in a fresh set of KYB inserts.

Should be $350 all up.

First need to sell some stuff to free up some cash.

Charlie

hi Charlie , to lower the rear move torsen bars one spline they sit nicely and still have reasonable travel , let me know if you need any advice I have done 6 or 7 ! (fronts sit captive and level with 1 1/2 to 2 coils chopped , if you want to go that way)

cheers Tim