oil cooler - help wanted

KE_boi

hey people was after some help about setting up an external oil cooler to my mx73 cressida

how hard is it? and whats bbest way about doing it

if some one has pictures from them doing it it would be much appreciated

The external oil coolers you see in pictures are not hooked up to anything.

Why do you want and external oil cooler?

If the answer is because your car spends all its life on the race track then we can help you.

If your car is a road car... Well... Zip ties and braided lines though grill will suffice.

If your car is a road car... Well... Zip ties and braided lines though grill would be best.

Simon is right. If the external cooler is for looks (and don't be worried about admitting that as there are even guys here who like tyre stretch and excessive negative camber) then you are WAY better to not have it plumbed into your oil circuit.

If the plumbed-in cooler catches a stone and is holed the best you can hope for is a tow home.... the worst is a seized engine and then a tow home.

MGBs had oil coolers for whatever reason.

around 70% of the heat from the engine components is probably taken up into the oil, that is correct. But as long as your oil is circulating it will keep those bearings etc cool enough while the oil transfers heat to the block and then cooling system. The oil just stops certain parts of the engine from getting too hot by moving the heat around, while the cooling system actually removes it from the engine entirely. Otherwise what everyone else has said is fine.

/overkill.

If your car is a road car... Well... Zip ties and braided lines though grill would be best.

Simon is right. If the external cooler is for looks (and don't be worried about admitting that as there are even guys here who like tyre stretch and excessive negative camber) then you are WAY better to not have it plumbed into your oil circuit.

If the plumbed-in cooler catches a stone and is holed the best you can hope for is a tow home.... the worst is a seized engine and then a tow home.

Worst is that you dump all the oil under your tires and careen to your death!

That's not directed at me obviously as I'm well aware of that^. Incidentally that looks absolutely stoopid.

Check out rotary oil cooler mounting sometime.

On what car? generally mounted behind the bumper arent they? So unlikely to get hit by a stone/cat, unlike the one posted by Zep

i have a smaller, Evo (forget which number) oil cooler thats going on the front of mine some time. i really want it hooked up, but is a factory cooler from a much faster car going to over cool my engine? its also going to be half tucked up behind the bumper.

i am going to be hotting the head up significantly in the near future.

I cant believe people are suggesting that you hang a non-functional oil cooler off the front of your car. Fuck thats stupid.

Why not go the whole hog and suggest other fake shit.

How about some stick on carbon look vinyl for your bonnet and interior?

maybe some plastic chrome treadplate floor mats?

Stick on hood scoops are easy to add- no need for a hole under it.

Bullet hole stickers?

fake bonnet pins?

fake disk brake covers for your drums?

oooooh, get one of those devices that you plug into the radio to make it sound like a v8!!!!

^ The original question was not about if the addition of this accessory was tasteful or not, it was a question on how best to get it done.

Clearly you don't like the idea, and clearly that doesn't matter as it isn't your car