steelies MKII velo racer

Steelies

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

had the motor apart the last month or two for measurement and mods. it seems exhaust and transfer are already oversize, but i opened intake timing out a bunch. and stepped up a couple jets. put it back together today, shit fired up quite well, noticeably different so hopefully it behaves well under load and i can move on to more mods! ie fuel and compression. possibly gain a better idea of revs and temperatures. then it will be the most well informed 0.38 BHP in the land. bring on the 'geddon

ran well, getting better. needs a good exhaust now fo sho, something better than a tube with an M20 nut hammered in the end.

will also gut the gearbox soon - bummer - but a new gear option has come up that'll make a huge difference. so mr draggy the chain box gets gutted, oh dear.

• 1 month later...

victa did that. he started out with villers and decided they were shit so made his own version which is very similar except for loop scavange and flat top piston. extra 4hp and then he got super rich and bought out the compatition who were stil usin villiers (pacer)

hah, yes there are riches to be had in lawnmower engines

casting doesnt allow for another transfer port, it's the bungest motor design in th eworld, hence why i'm sticking with it. took 1.2mm off the base, 2.3cc gone.

hope it still goes

bah skills, i just have cool toys at work

yeh this was the 1950s and nobody had motor mowers and er body had cash.

shits changed. brigs bought victa in 2008. slowly phasing out all the awesome victa stuff which is servicable and replacin with chinese junk so you gota buy new when it breaks. guna be the end of lawnmower shops except for fagit sthil shop franchises, bunnings and mitre 10

just found out today that victas stoped production of their gearboxes and parts for the old self drive mowers. means pretty soon i gota buy a new mower(with inferior performance) an er time i got a minor problem in the box i gota buy a complete chinese unit. plastic gears and shit

fucking dicks

edit: i mean if you buy a cast iron victa 2 stroke, that shit last you 50 years. can do two pistons on each bore with like 4 over sizes available. er part was cheap so never have to do full rebuild, just replace one part

Looking as sharp as your rap game there señor Manu

Keen to see difference after pipe, where did your numbers come from? When young Dave and I went about making one all the online ones spat out numbers that resembled nothing like an expansion chamber

Or is that for you to know and us to find out ha

i went with the the styles of Jennings in his 70's book two stroke tuners handbook, goes by more oldschool numbers rather than being based on BMEP like exhaust port duration, exh temp, rpm, exhaust outlet diameter etc. pretty much all those factors are so bung in the villiers it came out long and not very coney

Jennings did a lot of suck-it-and-see 'research' for his numbers so there will be plenty of factors he hadn't got nailed.

i just hope it sounds cool, doesnt stifle the motor and puffs smoke rings.

should find the pipe will help get the revs up to a point but limits after that, which would tempt me to tweak up rpm (think that can be done by shortening the belly, need to read again). will have Tig there so we can tweak till it blows up, but it's currently built for 4500rpm which i'm guessing is already fairly optimistic, for a villiers that needs to last a day or two.

carburetion is such a guess it may never get near 4500

may also find my 'fuck i'm sick of building this' has put too many inaccuracies in the pipe for it to do its job yyyeeeaaah

• Like 1