Locked Dizzy

Gaz

Question: I have a dizzy that has been locked mechanically and wont use vacumm advance, 13b. Searching all over the E-nets gets me lots of rota heads saying that locking the dizzy is what you do for ported motors cause thats what they do for racing, no real reason.

I understand it is so that maximum advance is achieved at top revs but do not see how that can be good for the engine at low revs, how do you stop the detonation?.. A race engine doing high revs all the time, no worries, street use.... no wonder rotarys fuck out so quickly!

Why cant I keep the normal mech and vac advance, does the porting act like cam overlap so vaccum is gaylord? Are the counterweights too light at higher revs, why not re weight?

Any input from anyone here?

Perhaps going electronic ignition is the real answer, anyone set one of these up on a rotary before?

Gaz

Do you mean the dizzy is locked (has no advance at all) or has just had the vacuum advance locked?

You need retard to get the engine started (piston engines do anyway).

MSD have a solution to your problem of course. The Cortina had a locked dizzy, an electronic retard (fixed curve) and then a separate high RPM retard. You want less advance at high revs than you do at medium revs.

Maybe it's done to help light the fire when starting? POrted motors would have fuck all cranking vaccuum. (IDK though, Rotors aren't my feild of expertise. Surely if shitloads of early advance is a good thing, you'd just get the dizzy recurved. Although perhaps rotang guys don't have the money for that. I run a locked dizzy on the datsun for the same reason.

In a perfect world, you'd use a locked dizzy on a dyno with a dial back timing light. Then you'd test how much advance the engine could stand at 200rpm increments. Note down what those figures are, then have the dizzy regraphed to the same curve.

Lots of coin though.

if you've got a points dissy chuck it away.. get a s2 or s3 (turb or non) electric dissy from fb rx7, the one with modules on the side..

full centrifugal advance is achieved at 1500 or 1750 rpm (depending on dissy model) - timing light tuning at higher revs than this so bit of a non issue..

forget vacuum advance/retard.. [advance (s2 dis on overrun) / retard (turb dis on boost)]

i run turbo dis no vacuum unlocked 2.5 deg split

this is all i have to say - search rx7.com, ausrotary.com for shitloads of info for africa

Ported motors (bridgeport, j port, pp) locked dizzy's

Stock ports/tall ports you can use stock dizzy setup

Lots of info on net if you want to know why, plus try tune a ported engine with an unlocked dizzy, it'll have you pulling your hair out to set timing at idle

The way I heard it was that a truly big ported motor idles so fast that the mechanical advance would be all in anyway.

So they lock the mechanical avance.

have read this stated many times,

also that the weights mechinism is knowen

to fall apart at ported motor rpms,

have also heard the whole idea being referred to as a 'hangover from the 80's'

ie weights can be changed etc

in saying that it worked perfectly in

personal experiance, starts easy etc

proper ignition "curve" is going to win every time over a fixed. i would think the vacuum advance would be removed due to less /inconstant vacuum in high overlap engine. just like a piston engine with big cams/itb's. removing it wont be the best option but may fix some issues. fixed with no mech or vac would be pretty shit

My bridgeport would detonate over 7k revs when the dizzy was unlocked due to over advancing the timing.

Welded it up and havent had any problems since, also no difference in down low power.

It just means you can set it inside the timing window that ported motors run best and dont have to worry about it over advancing out of it and overlapping etc

Ok got my shit sorted.

Now have an electric dizzy with modules on the outside. Will be running it unlocked and using vaccum advance aswell.

Once setup and engine run in I will then sort if it needs the curve changing and move from there.

Im then keen to try running a wasted spark setup with three coils instead of the two and an MSD unit... thats along way away though.

Also for reference: Timing chart.

timingn.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us