Ling's Silver Grand Father ---- Plan B (NOT a SPAM THREAD)

LingLing

I actually I thought about that, the Rear ends are off the shelf products, Shouldn't be much a issue here on trademe.

The front needs custom bulit coil springs and Valved to suit, and also $300+ per stock shock to begin with, That's where's the most of the money went to I belive. Therefore could be very hard to get a already custom built one on trademe.

The whole rear end including springs only cost like something 700ish all up.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, I see. He's quoted to make custom springs too - you were going to use TRD's.

From the PM you sent me - Bilstein shocks will cost roughly $1200 for all 4.

Then add NicT's springs for the rear and a new set of 6kg TRD springs for the front and you've got a good setup for under $1500 that doesn't require a cert.

yep, I am serious, Redline performance + more importantly Cletus our Cert Man!

I am so gutted too.

But if you wait, there's a chance to be passed, because BC is working on it.

Also, He told me If you get the BC ones that need Welding(not bolt on) and Weild it right, You can get a certi.

I don't know how much would that cost? Would anyone got any ideas?

here is his word.

"yes, currently cant be certified, due to cast hub being welded to shock tube. LVVTA is currently working on the issue"

Oh my, so if you have the wled on ones, you would need to get someone to xray them and get proof they are all G? I had an engineering place weld mine up, but knew nothing of this xray biznaz, was a good 2.5/3 years ago tho. Also, how come every other weld on the whole car dose not have to be xrayed, but the struts have to be?

Also, how come every other weld on the whole car dose not have to be xrayed, but the struts have to be?

It is because of this..

only because the "with stub" ones have the steel strut welded to the cast stub which has always been a no no.

Andy, Dont know who told you that a rebuild on the Bilstiens would be $120-150 each but I would be very ware re this. The front two in my Golf cost $800 from a shop to rebuild.

Gaz

He's my 2c (like this discussion needs any more input...)

Buy the BC's. They are NOT the best option in terms of performance. The thing that makes them good or not good is the quality of the shock. So long as the spring rate is what they say it is then it's almost impossible for a manufacturer to cock up the rest of it. A side not here is expect the coatings on the metal to fail quickly, my D2s have never left the garage in the 5 years since I bought them and are now rusting surprisingly quickly. A custom made arrangement with a quality koni, bilstein, etc shock will outperform the BCs hands down in terms or durability, lifespan, and performance if the person who selects the shocks is intelligent. With shocks it pretty much comes down to you getting what you pay for. Another thing worth mentioning is the spherical bearing in the front camber adjustment plates tends to wear out faster on the taiwanese/chinese coilovers - once again it just comes down to getting what you pay for.

So, why buy the BCs? I think theyre going to be the best solution for your budget. You dont have to think, all you have to do is buy them and throw them in. They're available off the shelf here in NZ. AND you most probably will end up changing them in a years time when youve learnt more about what you really want from the car anyway so why drop a bunch of coin unnecessarily.

As for the cert issue. I have a set of brand new D2 coilovers in my other racecar. They're a modified OEM strut so you wont have issues with the welds. Assuming you can get them low enough for what you want (theyre an unshortened strut so they wont go super low) then I might be willing to lend them to you for a short period of time. Put them in, get cert, replace with the BCs and be happy...

Gaz: I am went to the shock shop (Anthony) refered by treunotch. Anthony told me that, SO I am 100% certain.

Cam: Ok. Thank you Very much man, GC is all over old school. Lowness isn't my issue at all. I actually don't want the car to be too low.

also, I will discuss this with you in person.