Ling's Silver Grand Father ---- Plan B (NOT a SPAM THREAD)

LingLing

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, just want to ask:

I am trying to find a open diff for now and taking the 2 way lsd out to rebuilt/resealed.

Does anyone know if a whole rear end of 85 with open diff would fit the t50 gear box?

cam said, it couldn't then someone else said it could but not too sure.

also, I assume it's a straight swap swap of the drum and disk brakes as well?

cheers.

so what you guys think?

85 diff will bolt into the chassis, but the flange is different I think? Or is it shorter? Cant remember offhand.

Dont fuck about with swapping a drum S series diff into it, just try and find a T series diffhead...look for early Coronas and the like, they're a bunch cheaper than scenetaxed 86 stuff.

yeh, I thought that too, but then Cam also said, because my one is two way lsd, the axle might be different as well. a normal open ae86 diff head might not fit the axles??

Depends if they're factory LSD axles or not...if so, then they'll be too short to fit. If they're non LSD axles then you're good to go.

If it does have factory LSD axles (whip one out and measure, its not a big job) then you really need to find an LSD diff head. Maybe even look to bring one in off YAJ, stock LSDs sell for peanuts, though shipping would be killer.

Edit: Actually I may be getting it mixed up...I think factory LSD axles are shorter than non LSD, in which case you should be ok with any old pre facelift T series diffhead

right, if it is a lsd head, I probably will just have to rebuild the current 2 way lsd then, otherwise is probably cheaper to buy an open diff set/ open diff head+ axles.

I have all the informations I need so far, thank you.

Whats wrong with it? Clunky, or...?

it leaks oil been a while now. splashed oil underneath the car while driving also it is very nosiy.

kind of the sound of the wheel bearing noise, but few people said it is normal/ok. so My plan is to take it out and pull it apart, inspect the defects, replace/rebuild and reseal.

do you know if it uses sealant or gasket? if it is gasket then man that's a mission to find one.

So a rumbly sorta noisy vs a whiny one? Maybe give it some fresh oil and see if that helps to start with. Oil leak is usually pretty easy to sort, unless its a pinion seal which can be fiddly.

If its leaking around the head where it bolts into the housing its a gasket, which is sub $20 from Toyota when I got mine. Otherwise dirty old RTV will do the job

Yeh, Whiny noise, I think. Yeh fresh oil is a must, but then I really want to take the diff apart and see the things inside, kind of make sense if I Had already taken it out.

Hopefully it will be just the head seal. anyway, we will see how it goes. I am taking the entire rear end out with a helper next weekend.

Will keep you posted.