3 Stereo install questions

dylann

Currently attempting to install a stereo myself, and i know next to nothing about wiring

I tried searching, but couldnt come up with much

Old stereo - 3 plugs and 1 ground

1. White wire leading to speaker and nothing else

2. Blue wire with a black strip (assuming this is power) and a green wire (unsure of use)

3. Red, Black, White wires, not plugged into anything just chillin'

So my questions are;

What does 'auto antenna' and 'memory backup' do on the new stereo, and do i need them for it to operate correctly?

What do the blue and green wires do on the old stereo?

Should i use the red black and white to wire into the new stereo, im assuming red is power, black is ground and white is (ignition?)?

Or, should i use blue and green as they were working in the first place? pic below of the wires.

photo0110ys.jpg

Antenna wire is for electric aerial if you have one. (or can be used to switch an amp on and off if you have an external amp)

Memory backup is wired to constant power (ie battery) and maintains the memory for the clock and radio stations stored on the head unit.

Also a test light would be the best way to figure out what the other wires do.

Best bet, when you're dealing with weird old factory wiring, is run all new stuff.

Run a new main wire to the battery, 16awg or so, fused, from the battery into the (normally yellow) main power into the headunit.

The black earth wire can be bolted to any metal object on the chassis / bodywork. Often the headunit will earth through its mounting points as well.

The (normally red) acc wire on the heady should be hooked to a wire that is only on when the key is on. Acc wire etc.

After that run some brand new speaker cable from the white, grey, purple and green out to your speakers.

That pic that D posted up applies to the headunit colours, the car colours vary very greatly. I have yet to see a car that uses the same colour scheme as an aftermarket headunit.

Best bet, when you're dealing with weird old factory wiring, is run all new stuff.

Run a new main wire to the battery, 16awg or so, fused, from the battery into the (normally yellow) main power into the headunit.

The black earth wire can be bolted to any metal object on the chassis / bodywork. Often the headunit will earth through its mounting points as well.

The (normally red) acc wire on the heady should be hooked to a wire that is only on when the key is on. Acc wire etc.

After that run some brand new speaker cable from the white, grey, purple and green out to your speakers.

That pic that D posted up applies to the headunit colours, the car colours vary very greatly. I have yet to see a car that uses the same colour scheme as an aftermarket headunit.

That sounds like a better option to rewiring the current stereo, thanks, 2 questions though;

Is it fine if i hook the main wire to the battery terminal itself?

And acc wire for example, into the cigarette lighter wires?

Cheers

If connecting to existng you really need a test light at the least. They cost all of about $10 and will come in handy forever more. $10 for a test light beats $150+ for a headunit when you pop it wiring it up wrong.

Gaz

That sounds like a better option to rewiring the current stereo, thanks, 2 questions though;

Is it fine if i hook the main wire to the battery terminal itself?

And acc wire for example, into the cigarette lighter wires?

Cheers

Yah do that. Mine is connected direct to the battery. Usually the headunit will have a fuse on its main input wire, but slap another as close to the batt as possible. 15A is good.

Wire gets red hot very fast when it shorts out.

Just went thru same thing on my old thing with no experience

1st thing i di was a $10 test light from repco

hooked the yellow up to light switch power

red to cig lighter

blk to any earth wire

Good luck, Jaycar normally pretty cheap for speakers!

on some new headunits the auto antenna wire only powers up when you change it from cd to radio so no good to use as the amp remote wire the earth wire i find its best to just bolt it to the body somewhere even if there is a factory earth wire in the car

thats just my 2c

to add to the above, it is best to bolt the earth to the frame as on some more modern cars, when the car is not running, there's a wire that appears to be an earth but its actually part of the circuit that runs the gauge cluster and the rear lights, and if you earth the headunit to this wire, you blow the fuses for this circuit and loose everything (maybe alot worse if you have the wrong fuse in)

if the previous stereo wiring only used four wires they should be: ignition/accessory(positive from the acc position on the ignition switch) earth, left channel, and right channel. The speakers normally had one wire earthed on older stereos and the other one went back to the head unit. occasionally you would get a single speaker, in which case two wires may go to that.

you can use the existing power and earth wires for your new head unit, and run new ones for the extra circuits. This way you will be utilising the existing fuse in the fuse panel, assuming there is one there. check to see if there is a fuse in the back of the head unit before installing an extra fuse on the Memory/main power wire (yellow normally). if you are running amps then the blue wire from the new head unit can be used to switch these on, otherwise it is not needed. the rest of the wiring should be pretty self explanatory.

Don't do what a mate of mine did when wiring up his head unit - he managed to hook the earth wire up to the indicator power, which was earthed when not in use. every time he flicked the indicator on, the stereo went on and off with the indicators

to add to the above, it is best to bolt the earth to the frame as on some more modern cars, when the car is not running, there's a wire that appears to be an earth but its actually part of the circuit that runs the gauge cluster and the rear lights, and if you earth the headunit to this wire, you blow the fuses for this circuit and loose everything (maybe alot worse if you have the wrong fuse in)

Honda has black as power and green as earth.

cars and motorbikes. fuckers.

adds to the confusion that makes fire.

have seen the results many times.