Seedy Al's 1960 Munro Caravan

Seedy Al

Well, probabaly not going to use the cylinders for the suspention now, as I'm not sure what sort of spring if any they have....

So I have some spare bags kicking round (in fact i have 10 air bags now!)

So will use the bags on the suspention and a cylinder on my draw bar i think.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah that too!

Another idea I had to work as the pivot on the trailing arm is getting a front hub off some sort of car, and wleing the trailing arm to the Hub flange where the brakes slash wheel would mount to.

However I am struggling to think of a car with a hub that would tidy up enough to do this (Although I want to build a rat Caravan, I still want the engineering to be good and look good.)

You don't want a front hub, they're to complex with steering etc. If you want to do it that way, you want a rear hub from a FWD car. Something from a Golf or early Vectra would work?

9119931N_2.jpg

Actually, re-reading what you wrote I see you are meaning the front pivot point of the trailing arm? That might be difficult.

If you want to do that type of thing I'd say you'd be better to just grab a cheap IRS subframe from a FWD car and bolt that in. Do it so that it runs true at normal driving height and then it can let the camber and toe go all up the cack when it gets dropped to the floor - it doesn't really matter. Something like what I call "flappy trailing arm" but I think the correct term is semi-trailing arm is what I'd recommend.

20023.jpg

That way all the pivot points and engineering has already been taken care of - it's just bolt it in with the bags, add some shocks and you are away laughing.

• 10 months later...

So, given I am moving back to wellington in the not to distant future, it has come time to sort my shit and sell stuff I have no use for

So a space in the shed came up this week, so i have taken the opptunity to get the caravan sorted and attempt getting it legal to be sold.

Firstly was getting it out of the hole it had dug from sitting in the same place for so long, and then start getting the lights sorted

i bought a sweet set of retro styled lights, and have sent the evening fitting and wiring them up.

Now just need some front lights as the ones I have on there are not wired how I want them, but i could poiibly get this sorted too

anyway pics

Where its been sitting for a while now

IMG_0242_zps092cd913.jpg

loaded into the strokers garage

IMG_0243_zpsaf75fc2a.jpg

Light set

IMG_0244_zps93af0ca4.jpg

Old vs new

IMG_0245_zpsbb75dfaf.jpg

IMG_0246_zps4a53f582.jpg

IMG_0247_zpsad6c3bc3.jpg

And the new lights all sorted at the back, still need to join all the wires indide the cabin and run the main cable throughthe chassis, and figure out where the front light wires go. as its all lined in there, so cant get easy access

IMG_0249_zps51c376a7.jpg

Cant wait ti give it a good clean on the out side either

yeah It is a sham to be honest as i really wanted to do the air bag stuff on this, but time, mney and the fact I now have the same thing in VW Form pretty makes it redudent.

Would be after $1500 with the airbag stuff I have gathered,

Which is 2 bags, 2 pnumatic rams

and a air tank with pressure switch.

Or $1250 with out the air bag stuffs

Its a bit tidier since those pics, has a Sweet brown slah orange awning with it also, but i have never attempted to put this up so thre maybe parts missing etc.

Ok, watch this space. If I get a chance to clean it this weekend it maybe up for sale next week.