Seedy Al's 1960 Munro Caravan

Seedy Al

Yeah sorry for lack of updates

Havnt really had a chance to do anything with this yet

However at Kumeu I did get a super sweet deal on some air cylinders

They should work mint as either axle springs or used to make the draw bar work how I want it, however after seeing a picture Kk posted of a Bagged trailer then I think i know of a way to do that with out getting extra air stuff on the draw bar

IMG_7040.jpg

This is the trailer I was taking about

384492_318776688156491_191204617580366_1020630_383921189_n.jpg

As you can see the draw bar is attached to the axle. Not quite how I would run it but you get the idea

this is kinda also how I want to run the axle, or DO IRS

Only consern really with this setup is the the axle would have a weird arch in it, so when it was slammed or raised, which ever its set up as, the wheel center would look odd in the wheel arch, as its going to move forward or back on the pivot. If you get what I mean?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so I'm looking for suggestions on how to do my axles with the air bags

basicly I want to do each sie indepnant, so I can keep the floor nice and flat.

so what i have been thinking is making some short axles that will fit into some bearing blocks (2 each side to make it stable)

And then mounting the stubs for the axles on piece of box off those pivots. And attaching the bags to them.

So pretty much like what you see on the trailer pictured above.

here is a bad idea of what I mean

The blue sections are where the bearings would go, and then they would be attached to a plat welded to the chassis

The pink bit is the stub.

so yes, the wheel is going to move forward and back as a result of the arch of the stub / axle, but hopefully it wont be to much to notice really.

Caravan01.jpg

And for those wondering what A bearing block is

Pillow_Block_Bearing.jpg

That but with a 50mm internal size (the size of my axles)

SO if anyone has any thoughts of other ways to do it I am all ears

Those bearings blocks are about $80 each and i would need four, so thats not that cheap really

Either that or you could use rear arms out of a BX or Xantia and as they are independent you can set the track width at whatever you want - or if you could figure that the width is correct then you could use the rear beam out of 205. 306, 309 405 Peugeot etc...

I think the guy with that trailer used a Peugeot rear beam..

Plenty of appropriate donors turn up at PaP often enough

Would you have to have big cut outs in the floor of the van to house the bags and shit? What about having the bags up front (like on the draw bar or something?) and have push rods back to the axle? I havent thought this through at all.

Never been under a carovan tbh, is there a fair bit of room under them?

Would you have to have big cut outs in the floor of the van to house the bags and shit?

i wheel wells in caravans are usually in the cuboards so there is plenty of room to house the bags, its the floor down the middle of the caravan that will be the issue

Also I suspect it would pay to incorporate some form of sway bar in there to prevent getting a crazy boogie on...

PS - I think I just recognised the top pic I posted as a rear subframe out of a Morrie 1300 so there is another option but a fair bit less room to play..

yeah a sway bar would be a good idea..........

But yeah....... all ideas are good ideas.

Would really need to have a good look at the back end to under stand how the suspention works with the trailing arms on that.

And yeah as stated, having nothing throught the center section is the key. Can cover all the other stuff with beds or whatever really.

As for your idea VG, I dont like the idea of a whole caravan reliying on a single point to control the hight all round.

Plus I would like to be able to use each side independant from each other for leveling etc.

And better chuck some shocks somehwere to

Also the part of the way i liked about what i was planning is that I can choose how long the trailing arm can be, which means if I make it longer, the wheel moving forward and back in the wheel arch will be less, and therefore probabaly make me happier haha

Next time I'm near a citron i will have a look