Brennan's, ke70 Corolla, 3sge Beams powered.

Brennan

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your fuel pressure is low, could it be an issue with the fuel pressure regulator rather than the fuel pump?

Also, are you using standard Altezza injectors?

As they are 340cc injectors when run at the factory 60psi, but according to the maths are only about 275cc if run at 40psi.

• Like 1

We got the pump out. 

It's a Walbro 5ca400. 12v and 50psi, (so if it needs 60psi like roman says is factory, will need a better one.

It is receiving 12v and 3.8Amps from the car.  And got to 20psi on the gauge.

So we hooked a car battery straight onto the pump and it still only went to 20psi. So my old man is going to see the electrician with the pump tomorrow. 

Cheers for your help yesterday eke_zetec_RWD.

Sweet, must deff be the pump. What a hassle! But at least it didn't cost you a motor. Although it sounds like you need a new cam wheel.

Yes. New pump is not to bad. Keith found a few forum posts about cleaning the valve/solenoid on the vvti on 2zz and 1jz engines. So hopefully it may be that. Causes an inconsistent oil flow to the cams.

I have a welbro one in mine and it draws about 7 amp, no idea what the pressure is, whatever the factory 1uz regulator is.

Make sure it's not touching the bottom of the tank or it will be loud, so I found out. haha. If I took it out again I would put some rubber insulation around the clamp and lift it up a bit.

• Like 1

62psi would give the best spray pattern if that's what the injectors are designed for. But 50 would be fine if that's what you tune your car for.

Also if you want to clean the filter for the VVTI. You need to take off the front main cam cap, the one that has both sides in one piece and has about six bolts holding it down.

Then the filter is located either in that piece, or the head directly below it (cant remember which)

Toyodiy seems to suggest it's in the cam cap thing.

zykp0wu3.b3o.jpg

So it's a cambelt off job, bit of a bugger really!

• Like 1

What's happening with the vvti? I seem to have missed that.

That gauze is where the oil comes through the block to squirt into the vvti gears. Cambelt off job, but is easy enough.

Also, I assume you're running a return line? Dan's Wagon only uses a VL fuel pump and a return with aftermarket FPR and it runs good as gold.

It has a rattle in the vvti. Hopefully it is that gauze filter causing it from lack of oil pressure.

Turns out it was a split in the hose inside the tank. Just above the pump. So couldn't build up pressure. Can't believe it took so long to spot it.

And yes has a return line.

The VVTi rattle is probably just a solenoid. Listen to each solenoid with a screwdriver and figure out which one it is. I can send you a spare to test with if you're worried, but it's probably a benign rattle.

*edit* the cam gears shouldn't rattle like a silvertop sometimes does as they operate completely differently. A beams gear has two helical splines that work against each other, so they shouldn't wear out or make noise.