Hilux diff heads cog swapping

spanners

My understanding is that the diff heads have 45 teeth/10 teeth making a 4.5, and 41/10 would make a 4.1 etc.

Anyway.... I have a 4.5 in my car, but have a 41 tooth crown gear spare in my pile of bits. Can i change it without changing anything else or do the teeth have a different pitch or something on the corresponding gears? I dont have any other pinions lying about so am hoping i can use the ones from the 4.5?

4.1 would give a possible top speed of around 250ks. I dont expect the aerodynamics would let that happen but its more about the 3k rpm at 100kph...

Im a diff noob really so just want to know whether I should bother trying

I run a 3.9 hilux in my starlet, it makes things scary at 245kph, I had a 4.3 in it before that which was good for around 220kph.

I believe there is a rare 3.7 (ish) ratio available but this would probably not be that great for accelleration on a n/a 2 litre.

hilux lsds are a fairly average lsd, strong enuf but dont have 'ramps' to increase limiting of slip in relation to torque input, and by the time you shim them up to work properly they may as well be locked, pretty sure i read somewhere that there is a place in nz that modifies them to accept ramping type setup tho?

^ better off buying a new trd (or similar) G code irs lsd, they fit with small mods and wont cost bugger all more, by the time you buy a hilux lsd then get it modified.

have both the mod one and trd, both are good. but i'd go trd if was to buy another

as for putting the irs gears in a hilux carrier. could be wrong, but i don't think they will swap over like the center does.