quoted 2000$ for a 40yr old trans rebuild?

burrowssj

Just curious if 2000$ to rebuild a 40year old borgwarner 35 transmission is realistic? Does anyone know someone in chch who would do it for cheaper? I'm considering anything atm getting abit unhappy with it just sitting in the driveway :(

can anyone shed some light on why I have been quoted such a huge amount?

Just to put that into perspective for you... If you go to Toyota and ask them to rebuild an Auto box from an LS400, you'll be $13500 out of pocket so probably really just depends on where you go and what you want. Why not just buy another box? or are they impossible to get?

gearbox in parts in the boot now :( drove it there fine but had dropped reverse, was charged a rather large sum of money for them to do that to lol.

Well I don't know weither to try get a manual floor change or replace the existing box? What do you guys think? and if I went manual would it be better to go 4 speed or 5 speed?

I know of a guy who thinks he has one but hes not replying to my pms :(

I know these borgwarner35 trans were also used in falcons but im not sure of the difference and weither or not compatible with the column change cortina ? Anyone know?

What should I do ?

Whats it in?

The BW35 is a complete lemon. If you've lost reverse, chances are your reverse band is toast.

I have a factory valiant workshop manual, which has a chapter on the type 35. Thats right, falcons and valiaints had the same gearbox as Avengers, hunters, and trumpets. The Vals eat them for breakfast.

From memory we spent around 2k getting a complete rebuild done on the C4 in our old mustang. I imagine the time spent adds up pretty quick rebuilding things like that, plus parts, shit gets pricey. If they are in all those old trumps etc just track down another I reckon.

I think you need to ask yourself if you'd prefer the car as a manual, or enjoy it as is with an auto.

Got any photos of the gearbox itself? Will be able to tell in a flash if it's the same linkages etc as a Triumph BW35 (which I bet it is... they didn't tend to make lots of variants of these things) in which case it may well be a simple case of swapping bellhousings to suit the Cortina once you find a cheap gearbox. Should be able to be found for sub-$200 easily.

Hmmmmmmm crossroads point here, My brother has a floor change an its alot funner to drive, but then again if I stick to the column change I can have the bench seat filled easily? I'm not to worried about cert at this stage

200$ for original cortina mk2 floor change box

50$ clutch n flywheel

40$ pedal box

50$ master an slave (need recon-which ive never done before)

or

285$ for a automatic box?

Opinions and thoughts please!?

I'm definitely no expert on this mechanical stuff but I have done waterpumps an some minor repairs before... Do you think this is a do able conversion for someone whos learning? I have a manual an a friend whos pretty on to it as well

Perhaps I could put on a bbq an get some oldschoolers around to lend hand/drink beer/eat food?