Steelies 1930's Ariel - Wheelie Machine

KKtrips

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok grumble, but you have to reach around and hold onto my rodeo handle..

it sure is loving its new home, glad i dont have to tarp everything inside my garage any more. though i do miss pinkys already.

magneto guru says the armature winding was poked but bearings are all good. he's gona rewind/pot/whatever he does plus new condenser when he's over the man flu. still reckon he's gona cark it before i get my shit back haha.

• 2 weeks later...

You could threaten to get a quote from the other magneto rebuild places, and see if he drops his price a bit?

Oh hang on...

Sounds like the guy in Tauranga who does the Lucas PI metering unit rebuilds. Contribute an arm + leg + vital organs and you are wheeled out with a fully functioning, reconditioned metering unit to your engine spec.

yeah, called motor winders they said 'it'll be too expensive' and didnt show the slightest sign of keenage to do it.

basic project rule #0043 :

where time + effort + cost of DIY > effort of earning required moneys at work, the 'just buy it you jammy cunt' formula shall be applied.

researching and building rigs for a job i dont ever want to repeat + buying full amounts of expensive materials for a job i never want to repeat = fuck that!

i'd like to ride this thing some time this year.

have winding gear and experience but it's not a simple coil-on-cylinder jobby.

• 2 weeks later...

haha, so.. looking for oil. chances are the old boys were referring to penrite HPR 30 which is 20W 60, not straight 30wt. was recommended penrite HPR40 - 25W 70 by classic bikes guy in upper hutt.

also, i have a gaping hole in my bank account and a super fresh magneto. it came back with trick new HT lead parts, new internal HT parts, sandblasted/re magnetised body, rewound with new condenser, all new screws and been bench tested for 30hrs... mint