VW based offroader

johnnyfive

get the beetle, start by taking the body off it..

then make a space frame to whatever shape you want..

try and build it on top of the original floor pan if you can unless you wanna buld it longer..

once the main frame is built, take the engine and all suspension and steering etc off the floor pan and mount it to the spaceframe..

you could use the vw floor pan as a chassis but they would be weak id say..

theres been alot of cheap frames on trademe over the years for vw set ups

I don't know what's involved. But that screen cap is taken from the film Russ Meyer's Supervixen. You can torrent it. There is a mean chase between that offroader and a Baja.

So keen to make one too... couldn't be that expensive.

What would be required in getting one of these legal? I imagine it would be similar to a Lotus 7 rep?

That particular car would require guards tho?

Would be mean to have on the road but I wonder how easy it would be to con a cert man into liking the idea. They look very minimal compared to a lotus.

Although, I guess as long as it followed the rules I suppose there is no legal reason you couldnt?

I don't know what's involved. But that screen cap is taken from the film Russ Meyer's Supervixen. You can torrent it. There is a mean chase between that offroader and a Baja.

So keen to make one too... couldn't be that expensive.

What would be required in getting one of these legal? I imagine it would be similar to a Lotus 7 rep?

Watched it a few nights ago after your post in the movie thread, Blew my mind.

I probably would bother with getting it roadworthy, some of the ones in pictures there don't even appear to maintain the VW chassis?

Fuck yeah.

Might do tbh, car was intended to be a donor car motorwise for the old ladys thing, body of donor is fuct. So might crack into separating some bits off the body after nats and seeing whats salvagable IE- front beam, rear end etc. Then wap a watercool pushrod subaru motor on the back of it.

Will be a 'one day' project, but keen to start hoarding bits for that time.

Best advice in the whole world for you is buy something already made. You can pick them up for under $1000, strip it down and rebuild it your way. Lots of unfinished projects on trade me for a few hundy aswell.

i met a guy last night and had a look at some projects hes got..

hes got thing offeroad buggy type deal that the frame used to be a monza drag car tube frame.

had a 318 in it...now has toyota front and rear diffs in it..and a t bucket body..

hes gonna sell it,well he wants to anyway...

would be insane