Best engine for economy for a Mk3 Supra?

wickmyster

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2JZ-FSE? 2JZ-GE? 1JZ-GE?

Small engine in large car is fail, you'll need to give it so much shit to get anywhere it will rule out any potential fuel savings. Plus obvious flaw with a 4 cylinder replacing a 6.

I think something big and NA just ticking along would provide decent economy and still have a bit of balls if you need it.

The more modern the better as far as economy goes. 1G-FE is a tidy little engine and makes ok power, but would be pretty boring compared to a JZ as a conversion.

Yeah, I am keen on a 1JZ-GE even a vvti if i can find/afford one.

What is a 2JZ-FSe? Obviously F for the narrow angle valves...what do they come in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_JZ_engine FSE description is at the end, sounds right up your alley but I can't comment on how easy one would be to come by or how reliable they would be, being a relatively early direct injection engine. Seem cool though and good power. Fuel system would be the biggest problem to overcome I guess.

You'll never get the electrics on a FSE going without a headache, good luck going after market, you'd need to get the whole car to steal bits off to get it going

JZ all day, 1gfe (beams one) is nice but again later electrics mean pretty much you need to go aftermarket ECU wise

So 1/2JZ vvti it is, even turbo they don't use much gas if you drive accordingly

go buy a Alto or something to save gas :)

We can almost lock this thread now haha

JZ will have more power, use the same possibly less gas, sound cool, and probably improve the re-sale value of the car over any of the engines you listed

Mr Dori off here may have some mounts so its a bolt in job also

Yea im thinking of putting a 1uz in my e34 to save gas. You wouldnt believe how slow and thirsty the M20 525i motor is.

I reckon 1uz is the ultimate conversion for so many things, mainly due to cost and simplicity of install. Plus no need for intercooler/plumbing unless you are awesome.

Also I meant that 1uz was 1/2 as good as beams. Mainly due to me spending some ridiculous sum on my beams starlet - I need to justify that!

I managed 35mpg in my 7M-GE on the Auckland to Hamilton motorway...Couldn't complain at that!!! But was a very painful trip...95-100ks the whole way....

What are the early 90s NA 1JZs like? What would be the easiest install electronically? I was a 1G-GTE but is a widebody aerotop (ga70h)...that why I am going to go to some effort for it as it is my fav jap car LOL

1uz would be way more thirsty than a 1jz right?? as the 1JZs head is way more advanced and has good flow. Though 1UZ has a fe head which where designed for economy...though in the v8s cause to save room I am guessing....

Imagine...1UZ with Beams style heads.... DROOL

Gonna have to agree with goin down the jz route.

My jzx90 with a standard twin turbo 1jz still gets about 10km/L, and thats around town. On the open road its epic.

The later model vvti ones are even better on gas, and make more power.

Get an auto diff or something with long legs so you can keep the revs down, team it up with a w58 and you'll be set. I drive mine everywhere round town in 5th gear, its got more than enough power to happily cruise round like that.