Best engine for economy for a Mk3 Supra?

wickmyster

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My old man's got a Z10 soarer that we're putting a VVTI 1JZGTE into. (as soon as I get my car back to my place and out of his garage...)

Were tossing up between that and a 1UZ.

But VVTI 1JZGTE with 280hp standard and max torque at 2400rpm, sweet powerband.

VVTI is sweet for off boost because it raises the dynamic compression ratio effectively making it similar to a higher compression NA engine, so good on gas and blah blah, as well as broader powerband than it would have otherwise.

Heaps of the wiring is all integrated, we're keeping auto box, ABS, traction control, power steer, blah blah, will be cool to have some modern tech in an older car. (Not necessarily cost effective or economical though!)

It's probably more work to try and leave these things out than it is to keep them, with some of the modern engines.

Wheel speed sensors are the only thing required to setup outside the engine bay to make everything work, everything else just all communicates between itself well enough, so long as everything's there.

In theory at least, fingers crossed it works out well hahaha.

Car we got it all from (JZX100 chaser) has ABS which needs wheel speed sensors, but also active traction control in that if it sees a wheel spinning up or whatever, it can apply the brakes onto a single wheel as well.

So it's pretty hax!

Even if you dont have an LSD, it wont spin up just one wheel.

Traction control can progressively shut down cylinders, has a 2nd throttle body it can control, and also apply brakes to individual wheels.

I know not many people are a fan of that sorta thing, but it's pretty sweet for the application. i.e. My Dad and other family members driving it without having to be a rocket surgeon rally driver to control it.

Heaps of the wiring is all integrated, we're keeping auto box, ABS, traction control, power steer, blah blah, will be cool to have some modern tech in an older car. (Not necessarily cost effective or economical though!)

What is the minimal amount of wiring required to get it running if it is all integrated???

I am going manual, without abs, etc will it still be simple to wire up?

oh i see this in toyspeed as well

anyhow if you do purchase a vvti 1jzgte, make sure it comes with the afm, and the engine has come out of a jzx100 or jzz30 ( super late model soarer ) as all vvti 1jzgtes after that are fly by wire with throttle linkage, i.e jzx110 and some crowns not hard to change but such a fuck off as i have read

there are also some pin outs on the e-nets, and a greater majority of them are incorrect, but a super clued up person like spence and or mike-e on these boards can nut it out, chances are you will be rolling ( want to at least ) with a link

if you do need pin outs flick me a pm, as i have soo many, and one of my own that i can send you

also my tip of the century is

dont roll with the auto and factory ecu........you will never get it to work 100%....and you will be going backwards with your fuel economy faster that what a 7m can pop a head gasket or alistar finishing a project car :lol: j/ks chap

have posted this on t/s too

Yeah got a push bike, and a mondeo that does 40MPG, LPG just makes mean power. Guy I know who has and LS1 was making 300kw on pump fuel and getting 25MPG @ $2.25 a L

LPG liquid injection 315kw before tune 327kw (would get more if he raised the compression above what petrol can handle)after tune and still gets 25MPG!!! @ $1.78 I think

The thermal efficiency of performance LPGs is insanely good (More energy from combustion converted to power than creating heat than with a petrol motor).

Think I will go LPG on my coon ;D

Plus a supra is not that heavy, only 200kg above average 80s cars..and I am putting mine on a diet, mate works for a boat builder so I am getting carbon fiber interior panels, jamex buckets etc

How do you get exactly the same economy from LPG when it has a lower energy density that petrol? Must have had a shit tune before hand or something, sure LPG's cheaper to run but you always use more fuel over all

Also if you already have a push bike and a economical car put a JZ in the supra and be done!

Yeah got a push bike, and a mondeo that does 40MPG, LPG just makes mean power. Guy I know who has and LS1 was making 300kw on pump fuel and getting 25MPG @ $2.25 a L

LPG liquid injection 315kw before tune 327kw (would get more if he raised the compression above what petrol can handle)after tune and still gets 25MPG!!! @ $1.78 I think

The thermal efficiency of performance LPGs is insanely good (More energy from combustion converted to power than creating heat than with a petrol motor).

I was wrong, he used an extra 1.5L per 100ks before tune, not sure what he is getting after the tune though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...