Nick's pimptastic ute of mid-mounted awesomeness

fuel

soooo far away from finished still haha. mostly comes down to money availability now, but it still needs a stupid amount of hours thrown at it too. haha i'm gonna try buy a more reliable vehicle next time, but similarly this normally gets killed by me not having enough money... haha standard car-guy dilemma ;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what this was up to the other day and went on and watched episode 33, where you assembled the car and took to waters edge for photoshoot, then episode 34 starts off assembling it all over again hah! Must be getting pretty good at it!

Offer still stands if you need any help. I'm mates with Alex so can always wing out with him if he is doing a mish..

thanks man. for the foreseeable future i'll just be doing small things on my own as i have time, but i'll let you know if i need a hand at some point

I was wondering what this was up to the other day and went on and watched episode 33, where you assembled the car and took to waters edge for photoshoot, then episode 34 starts off assembling it all over again hah! Must be getting pretty good at it!

haha yeah after that video i needed the space in the garage and didn't want to leave it outside with all the expensive parts on it, so stripped it right back and just left the bare chassis/body outside. not the most ideal scenario, but i'd rather that than wake up one day and find parts missing lol. i need a workshop asap haha

• 2 months later...

saw the vid last night/early morning and makes me sad my motor isnt miles away from my radiator because it would be sweet to make sweet piping like that!

Wonder if it would cool enough by just putting fins on the pipe and not having a radiator at all? or adding fins for a bit of extra cooling on the pipe? i think finned pipes would look pretty cool and should be done anyway :)

saw the vid last night/early morning and makes me sad my motor isnt miles away from my radiator because it would be sweet to make sweet piping like that!

Wonder if it would cool enough by just putting fins on the pipe and not having a radiator at all? or adding fins for a bit of extra cooling on the pipe? i think finned pipes would look pretty cool and should be done anyway :)

haha trust me it is not sweet making piping.... there's so much cutting and measuring and welding, waaay too much work to hook a radiator up lol. and then there's the 8 silicon joiners, 16 hose clamps, and five chassis brackets. on the upside, i think it was a good project to do to practice my stainless tig, so i can do the rest of the exhaust myself (i had Bam do the 4" pipe. partly due to time rush before the nats. partly cos he's a bawss at tig). 

regarding finned pipes, this would help, but would make under the car hotter. good in winter but not so much in summer ;) (i'm talking as-if wellington has a summer... lol). on trials 4wd's i know there are guys that just run the coolant through the rollcage, which has the same effect. as long as its water tight and you don't touch it right near the motor, its a pretty cool idea. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

yeah not much progress on it at the moment due to lack of funds and motivation. i'm going to be displaying at speedshow in a month and a bit, so will probably pull finger in the coming weeks so that there's some progress to show for that. 

i hadn't actually given too much thought on the radiator cap height, but that's a good point and i'm going to have to look into it. when i fitted it i just made sure it fit under the bonnet and that was my main consideration. 

Hi Chris, 

yeah i've got a few plans, but the cad thing is more about just testing the waters at the moment, as well as just doing more designs to get my skills up. i'm still fairly amateur with it haha. i'm learning though and can do everything i need to at the moment. 

• 9 months later...