Turbo upgrades

Josh

Was looking for some info/help on deciding turbo upgrade for my turbo pinto. Currently making 195kw on 18psi with a t28bb off a s15, running it on bit over 20psi when drag racing, which is pretty much out of the efficiency of the turbo, and the dyno map shows it pulls untill around 3600rpm then starts tapering off, then dying off completely by 5500rpm, rendering the last 100rpm powerless. This shows when racing to, as have awesome acceleration but alot of people are owning me because I'm efectively plateauing in the higher revs, it's super responsive in the lower revs which is fun but now looking for that pull right through to 6500-7000rpm.

So yea, without going stupid big turbo, what would be a good upgrade from a t28 to make more power and pull further through the revs. I currently have a T3-T25 flange converter so turbo would have to be either of those, probably T3 spec no doubt.

Cheers.

The GT2876r looks like the business 280-410hp, that's on first quick look though. But fuck, just over 2k for a new one from nz performance! Looks like exhaust housing is same as the T28 have currently so downpipe should bolt straight up as well I assume which would be super handy.

gt2871r with .86 a/r exhaust side. would be the one to go for if you don't want to do too much fabrication, and keep it responsive. theres quite a few different gt2871r's you'd want to run the biggest spec'd one. the 76r runs the massive compressor housing so isnt room friendly.

cheaper option maybe.. to use some kind of t3/t4 combo,

So 56 trim compressor, and the T28 I have being a 60 trim, that makes it smaller I assume, is that going to make much diff? And the exhaust going from .64 to .84 I understand and going by garrett site looks like it will work well. But yea, explain compreessor housing?

different compressor wheel though. trim is the difference in size between inducer and exducer (small and big part) of the compressor wheel. so you can only compare gt2871r wheels with gt2871r wheels, if you look at the gt2876r it actually has a smaller trim but flows a little more than the 71r. which means it has a bigger exducer basically.

dont worry too much about the size of the compressor housing, wheel size is far more important. different to the exhaust side

+1 for TD05HR working pretty well if you can get the reverse scroll to align with the piping..

Only real downside is that most of the wheel upgrades have to come from china so quality can be a bit questionable.

The evo 9 turbo would be the one to get as the housings are slightly larger but they all basically take the same size wheels. Mitsi did play around with the materials the compressor and turbine wheels were made from.

evo 1-9 compressor

Inducer = 48.3mm

Exducer = 68mm

evo 1-9 turbine

Inducer = 56mm

Exducer = 49.2mm

(Except for E7gta and E6.5 TME which use

Compressor

Inducer = 49.3mm

Exducer = 65mm)

Be warned, the evo 9 tend to dynamite the comressor.. So the next one I get built will probably just use The E9 cores and covers and E4 rotating assembly (which i have recently aquired at a sharp price.)

Oh yeah and the E10 turbo is back to normal rotation (not that you'd bother trying to find one of those)

Pretty sure i have a brand new (spare) compressor wheel (Inducer = 49.3mm Exducer = 65mm) which i would part with if you find a semi dynamited evo turbo, although the compressor cover would need to machined oversize by 1mm to take the wheel..

Butting in on this. Would then, the TD05HR be a good upgrade from my T3BB (RB25DET)? I see there is one on TM for about $600, is this worth it, or would be it worth waiting for the GT2871R cash? Would need to modify my manifold too, which could be a pain.

The Td05 is a good turbo but I thought it was only marginally better than the T28. In saying that it would be a cheap trial and error type turbo. How much more power you after?

You could look at running a TD06 (evo and small truck hybrid) but it may be a bit laggy.

Gaz

Butting in on this. Would then, the TD05HR be a good upgrade from my T3BB (RB25DET)? I see there is one on TM for about $600, is this worth it, or would be it worth waiting for the GT2871R cash? Would need to modify my manifold too, which could be a pain.

No point unless you are going to make a totally new manifold as the later model TD turbo used a twin scrool* (spelling) design to help increase respomnce, but with out the correct manifold the Turbo will work but not as well as it should

IMO, you have a well built motor, stop being a Jew save some coin get a decent turbo and enjoy the results

IMO, you have a well built motor, stop being a Jew save some coin get a decent turbo and enjoy the results

Haha, thanks man, need a bit of harsh reality some time!

Relived you didn't take to much offence to that comment

But with the modifactions done to your motor, its just begging for you to fit a decent turbo and release the ponies

Masterpower is a great option is you are look for a good turbo but don't require the BB factor, if you do want to spend a bit more, talk to Chris at Alltech on Aucklands Northshore tell him what you are wanting to achive and he will have options for you in Garrett in both ball bearing and planbearings, I remeber when I was looking for a new turbo for my 3sgte project I spoke with Chris and for arounds $1250 he could do a really good Garret plain bearing turbo

End of the day you will get what you pay for, but first I think you need to decide on how much hp you are chasing and work back from there :)