1600 kent c/f help

StuT

Hi all,

Im at a point in my project where i need to sort my donk out.

Have a 1600GT kent engine, not looking to change to anything else would like to keep it alittle original and simple.

I do have some dellorto 40's to fit but looking for info on past experience with pistons etc...

Thoughts on running 1300 pistons for uping compression or oversizing to 1700, cam choice for fast road and most importantly valve sizing when i get the head done.

i'm not looking for ultimate race spec max power, just noticeable difference and nice weekend drive for a resonable $

Any comments appreciated.

S

Thanks for the help.

Any suggestions on sourcing the 1300 pistons?

I have read that you need do machine out the top of the pistons to clear valves! thoughts/ experiences!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 871726.htm

From my experience you shouldn't need to cut the pistons with anything smaller than a kent 244 cam, but obviously you would check clearances when building the engine.

I can't remember the exact specs but I was running basically 1100 HC pistons, mildly decked block and a kent 224 cam with no problems, a 234 would have been sweet too.

• 2 months later...
Think I have that book as a pdf somewhere. Will look.

Have 1300 pistons in my 1600 with a fast road / rally cam (stage 3 from kelfords) and dellorto 40's. I'd tell you how it runs but I haven't got it in the car yet. Pics/info in my project thread.

I just looked on Amazon and this book was over $200.00 us

I'd sure love to get my hands on that pdf...... :bounce:

I had never heard of the crossflow engine before I got my hands on my 66 Anglia Van.....I need all the info I can get!

Is it the Kent motor they put the Datsun 1600 crank in to stroke it?

yes you can stroke it with these cranks - you have to grind the big end journals smaller - if you offset grind them then they will get a stroke increase..

I believe L18 is really the one to do this with though cos its stroke is longer..

(this is all from memory only and don't quote me for accuracy)

Is it the Kent motor they put the Datsun 1600 crank in to stroke it?

yes you can stroke it with these cranks - you have to grind the big end journals smaller - if you offset grind them then they will get a stroke increase..

I believe L18 is really the one to do this with though cos its stroke is longer..

(this is all from memory only and don't quote me for accuracy)

yeah theres alot of machining(quoted $1100+) .there a 1600 c/f in oz that has a datsun 2L crank.i have looked into this and it possible to resleeve a 1600c/f to fit 2ldatun pistons giving you a 2L kent c/f..also i have found that a ford/mada FE head fits on a 1600 with 6 head bolts line up 100% as of the cost of machining i stoped working on this and maybe the crank from the FE could fit as well ... also was told that a b6 mazda head fit A12 A14 etc engines but have not tryed this yet

fit an 1100 flywheel its about 7.5 kg a lot lighter than a 1600 one also fit this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =367020986 its is the Ducks Nuts

Found the download link for the x/flow book, just downloaded it again and it works fine. Also found a Pinto one while i was there. (Just do the free download and wait like a minute for them to start).

Crossflow:

http://rapidshare.com/files/381904855/Ford_s_Kent_Crossflow_Engine.pdf

Pinto:

http://rapidshare.com/files/382326327/how_to_power_tune_Ford_SOHC_DOHC.pdf

Cheers

Matt

Fantastic.......just read the whole...well most of the whole book..

Thanks this will be a great help with so much info!!

I'm still running into conflicting info on these engines.....mine is in a 1966 Anglia Van, but the book here says the motor was developed in1967???

I read other info about this engine around 1960...???

I have read in a article of the history of Anglia's on line that 60 of these were installed at the factory...mostly in sedans and right hand drive....

Guess I need to go back and read through all my saved bookmarks.

I have looked closely at the installation and it sure looks factory to me.

Unless it had a pre-crossflow that was changed?

• 1 month later...
I have read in a article of the history of Anglia's on line that 60 of these were installed at the factory...mostly in sedans and right hand drive....

Guess I need to go back and read through all my saved bookmarks.

I have looked closely at the installation and it sure looks factory to me.

Unless it had a pre-crossflow that was changed?

The lefthand/american ones had crossflow due to the brake and clutch being on the other side. Read it in a classic ford mag.