Keltik's 02 Subaru Wagon

keltik

the diesel foresters run a 6 speed. id assume theyre lower ratios being diesel and all. a turbo legacy box should be fine as the turbod ones make more power than the 6 cylinder.... definately interested in how this works out.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a turbo legacy box should be fine as the turbod ones make more power than the 6 cylinder..

While this is true, its the shock loading that kills the boxes. On the turbos you get that wee lag on gearshifts, where on the 6 you dont. So it only takes a few badly timed gearshifts and your putting a lot of strain on things.

Either way - we'll see how it goes.

Hey boe, the newer stuff is still the same configuration as the older boxes. Manual still has a viscous center with viscous rear diff sometimes and auto has electronically controlled center diff with viscous rear. I dont think any of them had front LSD's from factory until you get to the WRX STI models.

Did some more work on this tonight. Have decided im going to mate the box and motor in the garage then wham it in the hole as one unit.

Started wiring up the new motor, most of my wiring loom went straight on - had to swap a couple sensors and stripped the new loom to get the pieces i need out of it. So its all coming together. Now i just need a torx wrench of the appropriate size to remove the flex plate and bolt my flywheel on.

After that - I can bolt the gearbox on and start cleaning up the engine bay and trans tunnel. Should be on track to install the motor this coming week and have it ready to start the week after.

Need to find a throttle body to fit. Im told a AU XR6 one is very close to perfect. Will also be swapping the rear diff to match the box ive been given instead of changing the box. I wanted to do a 4.444 conversion and now im going to! From 4.111 to 4.444 will only give me a 100rpm drop at 100kph cruise due to the gear ratios being different - but most importantly, in theory it should reduce the amount of torque exerted on the gearbox bearings if my fragile little mind is correct.

Pics to follow tomorrows update.

Good progress so far today.

Heres the new gearbox ready to go in;

21121693.jpg

Heres the new motor ready to go in once the flywheel is on;

45644761.jpg

47578155.jpg

And the hole for it to all fit into;

95953886.jpg

88667822.jpg

Pilot bearing was utterly shagged so put in a new one. Flywheel and pressure plate look good so the clutch can go straight back on. Got most of the wiring sorted for the motor too, all the motor harness is there now i just need to do a few new runs to the ECU for the extra solenoids and sensors.

Things to be done:

* Flywheel and clutch fitted to motor

* More wires to be run to ECU

* Rear diff to be swapped for 4.444 ratio LSD

* Everything stuck back in the car

* Throttle body modified to fit or a new one sourced

* More wiring! Yay!

* BooooooooBAAAAAAAAAAAA down the road

Tonights progress.

Whipped the flex plate off with JohnnyB's help. Required a bit of hammering and a cold chisel to one of the bolts but all sweet. Then proceeded to do a spot more wiring, fitted the clutch and flywheel then hoisted the gearbag onto it.

Picture for proof;

52913341.jpg

84469711.jpg

Sorted out the rear diff issue, turns out the gearbox they sent me had a new bell housing on it and they never removed the sticker - so it IS in fact a 4.111 therefore dont need to change the rear diff. Even counted the teeth on the front diff crownwheel to be sure.

Next mission is to wham it in the hole and install throttle body.

Forgot to update that the motor is sucessfully in the hole. Certainly wont be swinging any cats between the front chain cover and the radiator fans. In fact - youd be lucky to jam a gnats chap in there. Its toighter than Duddley.

So chalk up another 2 nights of wiring and dicking around. Spent the evening in the shed doing wiring on the ECU end of things. The problem i have is that when i originally wired the Link in - i wasnt sure if i would be keeping the car, so kept all of the factory wiring in place so i could reuse the factory ECU whenever i please. Since now the car can only run on the Link - i decided to revisit the rats nest of ECU wiring and strip it back to going directly into the link instead of branching to the link and factory plugs.

So after stripping off all the electrical tape and figuring out what was what, i saw this;

71758306.jpg

And was all like

31965960.jpg

Nek minnit/5 hours of soldering later;

79598844.jpg

Looking much neater and will makes it a lot easier to stuff everything back under the carpet. Also wired up the VTEK solenoids and new temp sensors and various other electronic wizardry. Just about finished with the wiring now, all the remains is to test each solenoid and sensor to make sure i havnt fucked anything up.

Got a throttle body today so will be sorting that in the next couple days. Drivetrain is completed, which means all thats left to do is;

* Install modine oil cooler thing

* Fill with coolant and oils

* Make a spacer plate for the throttle body and bolt that on

* Figure out where to attach the throttle cable

* Get tuned

* Do skids

Progress pics;

Its in!

img0064bj.jpg

Not what i'd call heaps of clearance but i didnt have to move anything

img0062qz.jpg

This is chilling in the glove-box and all wired up, initial sensor checks show everything is working as expected

img0066keo.jpg

Still needs a wash tho

img0061qc.jpg

So ive got to the point where all i can do is wait for enough money to finish the project. Filled it with coolant and oil today - just need gear oil and a throttle body sandwich plate and its good to go.

I'd estimate 2-3 weeks before i can fire it up.