Hamilton: Shed kitset / building useful info or hookups?

mjrstar

Looking to spend 25k-30k on a decent sized shed (probably 3 bay barn) suitable to fit a hoist and have a concrete floor. Open to listen to experiences people have had or any pitfalls I might come up against.

I'm not really looking to do any of the work myself but just looking for best value for money, so let me know if xxxx company was great/rubbish and things you'd do differently if you were to build a new shed.

Cheers

Matt

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd imagine kitset type places would come with instructions too??? (not that i really know what they are :wink:) other than that, its just a simple concrete slab really, all stuff that can be done youself. C'mon we're kiwi's think of that mitre 10 ad with the kids in the play ground "ah c'mon mate do it yaself" haha :D

I used to work For Kiwispan, the forman was a faggot. Cant remember much about it but the sheds were fine, easy as fuck to build all you need is dynadrill, tec-gun, tin snips/grinder and your away. We could put an good sized one up in a few days.

Only thing to consider is what kind of services would you want in the shed?

Power for lighting & power tools?

Water & drainage for a toilet maybe?

^^ yeah reasonably keen to get someone in to do it so it doesn't turn to shit / take 3 months.. Will probably have an extra tank for rain water catchment and put a sink in there for hand washing etc..I don't think i'll bother on the toilet side of things as one of the other garages already has a toilet/shower.

Will definately be doing the power side of things, it's not going to be too far from the main house power box.

Currently looking at high stud conventional type sheds vs a barn style with large door in the centre and 2 smaller doors..

• 3 months later...

Well after a bit of a paperwork mission with the council (over land size and shed location) i am hoping to have some earthworks starting next week..

Looks like it's going to cost a bit more than expected just stuff you don't normally think about like drainage for stormwater etc..

oh yeah waikato sheds, not the cheapest but seem to be the most efficient comprehensive regarding material quality and an all up build cost.. unsure who they get to erect it...ended up going for a 10x8 barn style, would have loved a 12x12 but space in the paddock where I wanted would not quite allow...

Yeah spot on, I think it's the same stz as kitset homes, they have their regular contractors but give you a proce for the kit and building works.

It may seem more expensive than your mate's uncles dogs breeder whose a chippy reckons, but odds are they will whip it up pretty quick and be cheaper in the long run.

That said I would be quite keen for building my own shed/as much as I can do myself