Blowing brown smoke after valve stem seal replacment -not OS

Lump

I just helped a mate replace the valve stem seals and cam belt on his car (Holden Barina Van - early 2000's 1600 SOHC). It seemed to work fine at first but it has started blowing brow smoke when revved (it had previously blown white smoke on start up). It doesn't idle high or hesitate or anything else - just brown smoke.

Is this likely related to the valve stem seals, the camshaft timing, or is it overfueling for some reason?

or is it overfueling for some reason?

Old mans 2000+ turbo diesel navara did this when a intake hose split in half, was SPEWING smoke. Probably not possible to be the same problem... but double check there are no leaks maybe anyway on intake? :?:

UJ sounds closest to me so far, brown smoke is NOx caused by partially combusted fuel. pretty much the most harmful gas your car can emit :lol:

valve clearances deffinitely first port of call. you said it didn't smoke on initial startup right? too tighter valve clearance will still seal when the engine is cold, as the engine warms and things start to expand your valve(s) may not be seating properly.

failing that compression test. doesn't run EGR or anything retarded does it?

There no valve adjustment on the engine, and I haven't seen any metallic particles in the exhaust. I guess I'll check the intake system for leaks and have a look at the egr system (I'm assuming it has one as it pretty modern)

Cheers for the help so far, I'll let you know how I get on