Loadings on 10" trailer tyres/wheels

Unclejake

There has been a vibration for the last two journeys we have done with the boat trailer and it got me stressed enough to pull over and have a look today. The probable cause is a decent bulge in both sidewalls of one tyre (not in the same location). The existing rims are 8" diameter and 6" wide . The tyres have done about 4,000kms.

EDIT: Both edges of each tyre have almost no tread. The centre of each tyre has heaps of tread but the tread surface is bulging. The centre of the tread surface is probably 10mm greater in radius than the edges of the tread. I did have a tyre go a bit soft onthe last tow back from Auckland, but I usually run them at 40psi

I figure the boat and trailer combo weighs a max of 650kgs (fully loaded). The existing tyres are rated to 360kgs @ 70psi.

Any thoughts as to cause(s) of the tread wear, side bulge and tread centre bulge?

I can squeeze a 10" rim in there I think. The PCD is 4x101. I really need to keep the tyre quite wide for flotation on sand/stones. Any thoughts on a decent 10" x 6" galv rim and tyre option?

Under inflation UJ, Over inflation would be chewing inside edges... Still you say you're running 40psi which is heaps for a lil tyre!

I'd be changing to something more common, 13" and go to a 165 commercial..

10" in that pattern is mini, 13" is vauxhall HC viva...

Edit, realised 8" you're running, for awhile we had a fair amount of them coming in blowing out, found out the trailers sway alot with such little wheels (which would explain your 'scrubbing') Bigger you can go the better

I would say that it's just shitty tyres uncle. If there are no alignment issues and you have run them at the correct pressure then I can't see any other reason for them to fail.

I would recommend going to 10" dia.

The rotational speed of the wheel in 8" would be chronic at 100k.

Also you will probably find decent tyres in 10".

Ah well that definitely looks like an under inflation issue and subsequently put more stress on the sidewalls making them bulge and fail prematurely also.

The swaying does not help either as it pushes the tyre across each way to run on the edge.

Jesus, so how many PSI should I run? 70 (cold) seems pretty bloody extreme, as does 60.

I think you are all right and I should go up in size, I reckon an additional 1" of total radius can be fitted to the hubs without having the change the guards (and re-galv the trailer).

The existing tyres are 16.5x6.50-8

I can squeeze a 10" rim in there I think. The PCD is 4x101. I really need to keep the tyre quite wide for flotation on sand/stones. Any thoughts on a decent 10" x 6" galv rim and tyre option?

go to twiggs in lower hutt. ther'es a 10" one available.

defintiely a lack of inflation issue that's caused your abnormal wear. yo'd want them at max pressure.

this is cam btw. omg.

Chur, chur. W R Twiggs and more inflation it is

Notes to self:

Existing 8"combo is approx. 420mm O/D and rated @ 360kgs. Existing tyre is 16.5x6.50-8. There is XXXX clearance to the mudguard. The tyre width is about a metric 165

A Mini tyre is often 165/70R10 and is 488mm O/D. Suits up to 5 inch rim. Loading is XXXX

TWL sell a 150mm wide 10" rim and 20.5x8-10 tyre package rated at 500kgs. They are probably 520mm O/D. The tyre width is about a 195

Twiggs have a 155/12 combo for $95 each. O/D is 545mm

I can fit 460mm O/D max in there without welding

Foot is 272mm

I think i'd be getting the welder out if it makes for safer travels. Would also rock the combo that is rated for best weight capacity. Couldn't you just zinc paint the welds etc rather than dipping the whole trailer? Only downside to the bigger/narrower tyres is the beach launches i'd say. Used to run those dumpy ones on jetski trailer, and forget why we changed, but now rockin' 10s IIRC.