2 Strokes, whats the biggest, badest / easist??

Seedy Al

Apart from the stuff Mikluni has already touched on - it is of note that, much like a V12 Merlin Spitfire engine, an marine outboard two stroke is not really designed to accellerate in the way that we are used to.

The Merlin delivered its 1,200hp at something like 1,800RPM. A very tall diff with resulting oil cooling troubles would be required for the V12.

I dunno what challenges old outboard powerwheads will trhow at CDL, but it would be different and sound choice but be pretty hard I guess.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought outboards were quite flexible though, being able to pull the boat up from low speed, although I guess the prop is just spinning in water, kind of like an auto with a high rpm stall, torque convertor. The only boat I go in doesn't have a functioning tach and I can't really quess what the revs are doing, but they do seem to climb through the range alright.

Either way, I'd guess mating a close ratio gearbox such as that of a motorbike to it, with an appropriately geared diff would still be the best way of getting the most out of it.

Would probably look at a motor bike engine still over an out board. Something like a 750 tripple would be pretty rocking, However if you really can modulate those motors into a 1000cc 4 then that would be ideal. then use the factroy gear box to the existing vehicle gearbox to get rations and a reverse

Vehicle I am keen to do this on

65164.jpg

Jeah, just the thought of one of these slammed out on some sweet rims, making mental two stroke noises with spannys out the sides would be Face destroying

Perfect choice! I've wanted one of those for ages on those awesome little wide blank ATV wheels.

The good thing about using a bike motor is that its a tried and proven conversion. Gearbox wise, a lot of people have done this before you. Some jam it in 4th for a 1:1 (sometimes 5th on bikes?) and other put a layshaft in the gearbox for less drive loss. It would be cool to have virtually an adjustable final drive though, being able to chuck it in 3rd for lol acceleration/skids and 5th or 6th for sweet low rpm cruising.

Would probably look at a motor bike engine still over an out board. Something like a 750 tripple would be pretty rocking, However if you really can modulate those motors into a 1000cc 4 then that would be ideal.

People used to do it but its hardly 'modular' as described. The cranks are pressed together to its easy to press extra sections on to the crank (as with a zillion bike engines) But the cases dont just bolt up you would have to weld them together as far as I could see. So yea welding crankcases together sound fun?

The kawi 750's sound awesome and make make about 70hp? I'd probably rather rock a cr500 engine. Both still seem to underpowered for a car, need more beans,

Ive seen jetski engines in light aircraft so no reason you couldn't get one going in a car, hello 200hp and lots of $$

Would probably look at a motor bike engine still over an out board. Something like a 750 tripple would be pretty rocking, However if you really can modulate those motors into a 1000cc 4 then that would be ideal.

People used to do it but its hardly 'modular' as described. The cranks are pressed together to its easy to press extra sections on to the crank (as with a zillion bike engines) But the cases dont just bolt up you would have to weld them together as far as I could see. So yea welding crankcases together sound fun?

The kawi 750's sound awesome and make make about 70hp? I'd probably rather rock a cr500 engine. Both still seem to underpowered for a car, need more beans,

Ive seen jetski engines in light aircraft so no reason you couldn't get one going in a car, hello 200hp and lots of $$

Kwaka triples are still commonly used in drag bikes in the us of a, 100hp can be achieved relatively simply, more with $$ obviously. The big thing with them is that they are expensive to buy in the first place, and a lot of the are basket cases. Also parts although available can be $$.

10K plus I'd say, up to 20k depending how new they are. Old sea-do down at my uncles may still be there, he wanted $1500 as the engine needed a rebuild, it had a 2cyl 2 stroke on carbs over 150hp. Still ran fine just getting rattly engine kit was $1000. I Honestly don't think any 2 stroke engine you buy that will move a car along is going to be cheap

Kwaka triples are still commonly used in drag bikes in the us of a, 100hp can be achieved relatively simply, more with $$ obviously. The big thing with them is that they are expensive to buy in the first place, and a lot of the are basket cases. Also parts although available can be $$.

Yea I agree, and if you found one stealing the motor would be criminal unless the frame was fucked or something. 100hp is still pretty laughable compared to a modern 2 stroke, they are ancient 2 stoke technology, piston port etc. They are still awesome though

Even in something pretty small and light, 100hp is still not very impressive, especially with no torque. It will be fun as hell and sound awesome, but if going to all this effort it sounds as though it wouldn't be too much more cost, if not cheaper, to just grab a jet ski motor to slap in there. Would they not have the same cooling problems as an outboard though? So you might as well get a 200hp V4 2 stroke and be the coolest man on the planet?

^ Ive seen one in a plane with a radiator so Im guessing it can be done.

It will be running hotter than its used to but only thing this will effect as far as I can see is piston clearance. So if your rebuilding it anyway so you can buy a piston kit to suit. Bottom end is roller bearing so who cares.

Or yea just buy a ex Mick Doohan GP bike and bask in 500cc 200hp+ 2 stroke glory

Having once been for a ride on a mates CR250, I was going to agree with the CR500 suggestion. (The 250 was a scary beast to say the least) But having seen the 2000cc CR500 monster, I'm in love! That would be off the chain!

As for outboards, they have terribly small cooling capilaries in the block to compensate for the stone cold coolant. My old mans jono is a 2.7l V6 two stroke that rocks 225hp. Would be epic on land, but heat would cause untold reliablity issues.

I'm told back in the day people experiemnted with outboards in speedway, but the heat fucked them. Although, if you were to run methanol.................

how much did your jet ski cost haha?

I bought it new a couple of years ago, just under 20K but you can pick up yamaha GP1200 jetskis cheap enough if you look around. The are 3 cylibder triple carb. 160hp. Mate bought one from an insurance yard that had been in a small accident, needed some fiberglass repairs for $2200. Probly still a bit expensive for what your doing. Theres plenty of 2 cylinder seadoo engnes out there producing 90 to 130 hp but there are all usually utter rubbish. Seadoo isnt known for there reliability thats for sure.

Well, maybe an out board of some sort would be worth an effort. Meybe witha decent sixed alloy rad mounted somewhere, with a few fans, and then i guess a seperate motor cycle gear box runnign to the Factory vehicle gear box,

Jesus haha

maybe i should just get a Snow mobile engine haha

Allan