Leeky1's 1976 RA28 Celica GT

Leeky1

Photo's are really decieving. There's actually heaps of bubbly paint you can't notice in these pics and a hole the size of my fist just above the driver's door mirror.

These were taken in Jan.

So far I've stripped out all the interior, guards, bumpers, lights, loom, motor & box etc..

Will throw up some pics of the rust so you can get an idea of the scale of this project. :?

Getting it ready for sandblasting.

Dont be afraid to spend money on this car. If done correctly you will end up with an allready very appreciating classic. What are your plans for it ?

I'm not afraid to spend money on it, just afraid of the what the missus would say if she knew just how much!

Plus I've got kids and mortgage so money's not exactly sitting there waiting to be poured into this project. :cry:

But....I got a mate who's a panelbeater who I do plumbing for so we got a deal going. Basically he tells me what needs to be done on it and I do it. I'll eventually make up all the patches and get him to weld them in. So it's real a budget DIY project. But in saying that I'm going to do everything as well as can be done. There'll be no bog or crap in this.

I'm going to take it apart as far as needs to be done to eliminate every last bit of rot.

As for plans...

celica3.jpg

Want to keep it oldschool like this. Same wheels and color.

Thats nothing compared to the rust on mine, at least you dont have to replace the whole floor.

Be careful when sandblasting as it sometimes can do more damage than what its worth if you are going to blast the whole car.

If you want to go back to bare metal then I would suggest soda blast or something similar and then just sandblast the areas that are effected by rust to stop the spread any further. Once this has been done black epoxy the whole thing so you dont get anymore surface rust.

hope its not as rusty as the TA23 me and edz are working on at the moment! awesome car yo

It's hard to say if it is really. There's quite a bit in places I couldn't take pics of. When i started pulling out the interior out I got pretty bummed out when I saw what was underneath, but since I'm gonna take my time and do it all properly I figure I'll end up with a pretty sound car at the end of it.

At first when I saw your 23 I was thinking "WTF are they doing to that awesome classic!!" But seeing as it was pretty much full of bog and rust your actually turning it into something pretty cool. Are you guys really going to put some kind of gun thingy on it? :lol: I can just picture some old senior citizens shitting there pants seeing that beast in their rear view mirror!

@ BIG A

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm pretty new to this kind of thing and pretty much everyone I've talked to has different opinions on what and how to do things.

So does the soda remove paint/flaky rust, but not really dig out all the rot?

I'm really just want to do things right so as to not make things harder/more expensive later on.

Soda will be the best it will strip away everything you need like bog and paint, then do the sand blast on the the rusty parts so it doesnt spread further. Make sure as soon as that has been done etch primer the car so it doesnt get all rusty again. See my car for what I have done and that will give you a good indication of what to do. If you need to replace metal just do it rather than bogging it up as the ol cancer will come back with avengence.

• 9 months later...

HOLEE shit - that is a restoration - you've gone way further than a nut and bolt disassembly you've unwelded the entire skin..

Looks good - should make panels from clear acrylic and roll like that...

Any up to date pics?

What are the eventual plans - Concours, Mildly Modified, Extreme Modifications?

@ KK, those panels in front of the windscreen don't unbolt and ALWAYS rust out. TA22/23 celicas have some retarded drain hole locations etc.

@ Leeky1 Good on you for restoring such a sweet car. There are definitely not enough old celicas around. And if you're ever tempted to swap the engine out with a diesel v8 - Me and E have the low-down on how to do that shit! :D

That's some seriously commendable work. Awesome stuff.

Cheers. Although all I've done is pull it to pieces! :lol:

Getting it all back together and lined-up is going to be the REAL challange. :?

@ KK Or maybe just slap some flat steel on there and make my own original? :lol:

Plans are just to get it tidy and running. Don't have the budget for wild mods, plus it's gonna be a sunday cruiser.

@Truenotch- I finish work at 5 then had to pick my boy up from daycare. 'spose I could leave him in the car while I have couple beers in pub. Then come out after an hr or 2 and give him bag of chips and raspberry/coke. Oh wait, it's not the 80's no more. :lol: Might try sort something for next month tho. 8)

@MrMcdoll- That's real badass. :mrgreen:

Will take some pics of it this w/e if its fine.

HOLEE shit - that is a restoration - you've gone way further than a nut and bolt disassembly you've unwelded the entire skin..

Like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs...

Had to tip the hat, that is some major stripping! Dedication!! Always loved the old Celica's, couldn't find one when I got my first old car and ended up hooked on Gemini's/Chevettes... will keep a lazy eye on this build!