85_Z31's 1985 Nissan 300ZX Turbo Discussion

85_z31

Well I figure I will Introduce myself propely here,

you can checkout my build in projects

I purchased the car in 2006 when I was 17. It sat for a couple years due to lost interest while i modified my E30, the E30 is now sold and i have a hack around Diesel surf and this has motivated me to get onto the Z over the last year.

I live In Rangiora North Canterbury and Work with Computer Aided Design for a Power Lines company.

I have always been keen on cars more specifically old school ones. so when the old Z31 Came up i knew it was too good to miss.

I hope you like the old Z31, they are a bit ugly fat and lazy but I'm doing my best to give it some power and getting it to handle properly.

My E30 had a couple grand sunk into suspension and it was amazing to drive so naturally this is my benchmark for the 300zx.

I have spoken to the guy that owns that on Z31 Performance forums,

that's an 85 body with an 89 front end ( yes they made a Z31 up to 89 ) and datsun 240zg flares on it, drift car setup with s13 suspension and all the other drift goodies.

Awesome looking combination but none of these parts are available in NZ

Dope

Was in the goon yesterday for some reason

We got some ZG flares here if you wanted to mock them up with your rims etc? Assuming Rob is a babe and he is

I have something of a soft spot for EVERYTHING

fixed

Hey Snoozin

Mine is NZ new I have all the original documents for it too. even have the carbon copy receipt for the trade in on a SSS

i think its around one of 10 NZ new models sold by Cockram Nissan.

42k back in 85 which was more than a house, so right now that makes a brand new GTR look cheap.

Zeb

Thanks for the offer on flares but it takes a lot of work to pull off that look, I kind of like it how it is

Choice build man! It's gonna sound choice. Wanna build me a Vg30 and gbox once you've finished? :P

Sweet how you're going all out on the rims too.

Wondering if you may be cheaper to go through that bateman racecars chap down in Welly rather than Arrow? From what I've heard theyre v. expensive?

What colour are you looking at doing the centres of the rims? Neon blue maybe?? :D

Sweet how you're going all out on the rims too.

Wondering if you may be cheaper to go through that bateman racecars chap down in Welly rather than Arrow? From what I've heard theyre v. expensive?

I made this suggestion to him because I'm looking at using Batemans some time in the near future, but Arrows does look promising for wider outer lips. They offer a $210+gst 3" outer lip, off the shelf if you have a standard type of wheel. Probably unlikely that any of our wheels are "standard" but I'm looking at using BBS RS 3 piece wheels, so if anything is standard and generic it would surely be those.

Hey Sparkle

A VG30DETT "big box" will bolt up to an older SOHC VG30, you a custom flywheel i think buts that's not too hard to arrange these days.

I can provide the conversion information if you need,

Otherwise the NA Z31 Box is actually an FS5W71C ( same internals as a Silvia turbo box with a different bell housing i think ) and parts are interchangeable between them.

I would not recommend getting a Borg Warner T5 rebuild as I went through total hell to get bearings for it. The later style Borg Warner T5's have a longer input shaft and can not be used on a VG30.

So yeah that gives you a few options, I got a engineer to do all the tricky stuff on the box I only really pulled it down to bits.

Yeah I;m going to run my factory wheels until I can get proper dish and flush fitment

16x8 is simply not wide enough !! And the stockers are only 15x6.5 :?

this is the type of gold i want to run on the centers I think it will look badass.

SSR-Mesh.jpg

Got bored with autocad so i made this from a photo, I guess i could put that in the art section.

300ZX.png

Hey silly question but do you know where I can find steering rack mounting bushes for one of these bad boys.

I've got a '86 N/A one and I tried everyone, even Nissan and even they told me they couldn't help. Pretty sick of my rack sliding side to side.

Anyway always good to see a solid build like this, it motivates me to try and keep tidying mine up.

Hey silly question but do you know where I can find steering rack mounting bushes for one of these bad boys.

I've got a '86 N/A one and I tried everyone, even Nissan and even they told me they couldn't help. Pretty sick of my rack sliding side to side.

Anyway always good to see a solid build like this, it motivates me to try and keep tidying mine up.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/SSSC03D

Not an actual disaster but the turbo on the car is getting changed over back to the T3 it came with.

Improved upon yes, but its a pain in the ass.

So what do you thinks think of my custom intake pipe, should flow a bit better than the old POS that was on there.

Argh So gutted

Got the Car running nice on the new turbo setup

Got it tuned up real mint with Nistune & the Laptop

did some awesome headlight wiring

blew the turbo on the way to a WOF check :rolleyes:

So i still went to my wof check in a cloud of blue smoke from the turbo seals being fucked

would have passed had the turbo not blow as it was the only thing i got failed on

Not bad when the last WOF was 5 years ago !!