Solidstripes Bug

Toucan

Is there no discussion thread for this yet?

Anyho, like what you have done so far 8)

Personally reckon less rake on the roof rack if possible.

The colours you are thinking are quite cool, maybe a darker blue, and I much prefer the two tone where the guards are still upper colour.

Yeah that panel is a grill sorta thing you can remove. So replaceable. Iv got a beetle too that rat one that was advertised on her a while ago. Im tring to get it ready for the VW nationals in nelson but am having a bastard of a time with the brakes atm. Iv put a rack and old crap on mine also. They are a big learning curve as opposed to working on datsuns!

Yeah, it's just a replacement panel - theres no way I'd start hacking into the interior part of the body if I couldn't change it back to stock if I changed my mind. It's just a lil panel that pops in and out.

Thanks guys for the comments. Thought the colour scheme is kinda "sand & surf" kinda colours, since this is gona be my surf wagon. (as all my cars are) Gona keep the blue the original colour but just brown up the rest to make it a bit differnt from the other blue ones.

Will probebly cut the back of the racks down, I just extended them to clear the roof, but will see how they look when they come back from the galvinzers next week. Then off to the powder coaters! Does anyone know where to get new suckers or feet for the rack from? As the old ones are a lil bit haggard.

2 tone looks good, but I agree with leaving the guards blue and a lil less rack rake

Lol at people freaking at the thought of the dash being cut, its a late Beetle ffs!

If it was pre big tails/vented deck lid/bug eye front indicators then there would be good cause for concern lol

2 tone looks good, but I agree with leaving the guards blue and a lil less rack rake

Lol at people freaking at the thought of the dash being cut, its a late Beetle ffs!

If it was pre big tails/vented deck lid/bug eye front indicators then there would be good cause for concern lol

no fat chicks

that said i have cut my morrie dash - which being early isnt repopd so nevermind

Thanks for that link torton, kinda shows the subtle differences between beetles over the years. Plus gives me a rough idea of how much rake to add.

I know what y'all mean about leaving the guards but it's just that that's how pretty much everyone seems to do two-tone on their beetles, and I'm not one to follow the crowd...

Here's a pic of the rear, just gona go a bit deeper shade of brown, cause that colours a bit peachy looking.

DSC00695222.jpg

Oh yeah, the tow bars off too BTW.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey nice bug

i got to drive one in Surfers for about 5 months, just nice as a cruiser. I have been told that they are pussy magnets if you just leave them as is. I got this job in Austrailia and i show up in this thing, the boys gave me shit hard for about 2 months then i said to them haha come for a ride then dicks, they were all like na except one guy, then he reports back to them that it got the looks alright haha.. the only way to discribe these cars are fun. Puttin the racks on is good we had 2 kayaks strapped on ours looking like big bananas hanging over. Def for the beach this one!!! Nice...

100_0051.jpg

Also do you know if there is a stuffd one with reg on hold i could get the tags off? Cheers

• 2 months later...

Yeah I'd love to drop the front with narrow profile tyres and widened steels with large tyres at the back.

Yeah got new suckers for it when I renevated and modifyed the racks. Para Rubber shops should have an assortment of suckers that aren't very expensive. You should check them out if you need them.

They also sell long foam "noodles" that I got while I was there and cut the length down one side and they clip over the front and back so you can throw surfboards on them with out having to put them straight onto metal. FYI if your thinking of chucking something like that on yours.